Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hello from iOS dev — Gideros Forum

Hello from iOS dev

javyjavy Member
edited September 2012 in Introduce yourself
Hello all,

I’ve been doing iPhone/iPad programming for a few years now full time, and occasional Android apps. I mostly do freelance work for clients, but somehow manage to find (a little) time to make my own apps:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/javoid/id329504207

Now I finally have more time to devote to my own projects. I decided I needed to get away from Objective-C and Cocos2d because I want a cross-platform solution.

I looked at a few other platforms first:
Corona requires builds on their server and is not extensible.
Unity3d is too expensive and performance can be an issue.
Moai is not mature enough and the community is non-existent.
And quite a few others not worth babbling about.

Finally I tried Gideros. Very nice! I love what the platform supports thus far, I’m impressed with the track record of updates and looking forward to the changes in the roadmap. Also, the included tutorials are great, and the community seems incredible.

Most of all, I think the ability to write plugins is essential. A couple of the apps I want to make have requirements the library doesn’t support so this capability is wonderful.

Gideros is only missing two things to be perfect for me; GUI (in the roadmap) and Mac / Windows executable support.

The Mac App Store and upcoming Windows 8 Store are big new markets. In particular I think the Windows Store will do well, simply because more PC’s come with Windows than Apple. Here’s hoping support for those two will eventually arrive.

Looking forward to working with such a great toolset and hoping I will make apps worthy of praise for the Gideros community.

Comments

• @javy - Welcome to the forum, one of the reasons I've embraced Gideros is so that I can compete in the freelance market due to the rapid development that lua provides, you'll see there is some work already complete on native UI support via plugins and I'm working on a fairly heavyweight UI system written in lua so I can produce both ios and android versions very quickly.

Forward to seeing your input.

Jon...
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • I agree the freelance market is tough. It's a good thing iOS devs are in demand right now, at least we can be somewhat picky about the jobs we take.

I really like the thought of developing for both platforms at once as it offers a unique benefit to clients.

Looking forward to the GUI (I did see the iOS plugins, but I'll wait for more cross-platform GUI).