Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hi GiderOS Community — Gideros Forum

Hi GiderOS Community

GameMinionGameMinion Member
edited April 2012 in Introduce yourself
Hi everyone,

My name is Mohamed and I represent Game Minion, a start up focused on delivering a server side SaaS for games developers.

We come from a games development background, so we've been through and been frustrated by many of the same issues you all face.

I invite you to check us out http://gameminion.com, look forward to working with you.

Regards,

-M

Comments

• ndossndoss Guru
    edited April 2012
    @GameMinion, I downloaded the GameMinion Corona SDK from your github repository and made some quick changes to try it out using the Gideros player, but I get the following error when trying to run:
    Uploading finished.

----------------
    -- POST Call ---
    Post URL: <a href="http://api.gameminion.com" rel="nofollow">http://api.gameminion.com</a>
    Post Path: user_sessions/user_login.json
    Post Parameters: login=jbloggs@mailmail.com&password=password
    ----------------
    Network Error
    Error: request failed
    Is there a demo login that can be used without signing up for the beta (I signed up for the beta but haven't heard back yet)?

EDIT: On why I'm asking about a demo login account ... a demo login account would allow people to post demo examples that could be run w/o changes so people could get a quick look at the capabilities of GameMinion to see if they want to go further
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    @GameMinion I'm honestly impressed with the feature set you are providing. Among other "backend as a Service"s like Applicasa, Stackmob and Parse, I hope you'll find your way through. It's a good move that you want to back game development environments, and I'm pretty sure Gideros Studio can support your SDK.

Are you also planning to provide ratings, reviews and likes just like Cocoafish (now Appcelerator) provides? There are some companies only providing this backend to get instant feedback from users.

One more question (not a request, but out of curiosity) - since what you've built is a generic cloud backend maybe running on a NoSQL structure, I think adding any other data retrieval mechanism would be as easy as adding another box (feature) in your main page. Are you planning to provide crash analytics tools for iOS & Android and desktop too, or would it just bloat the software and do nothing more than confuse your customers' minds?
  • @gorkem Unlike other products such as Parse which generally targets Apps rather than Games, Game Minion takes a different approach, by being content aware rather than a large free form data store.
    The idea being we know what the games developer is trying to achieve we can provide a much richer functionality on the server side.

We are looking at Crash Analytics and is on our roadmap. We are happy to shuffle priorities based on developer feedback.

We are very excited to work with the GiderOS developer community, and as always we welcome feedback.
  • @ndoss Cool stuff you got dug in so fast, really love the attitude here at GiderOS.
    We've received your Beta registration and should be sending you access soon.

I will talk over your idea of demo account with the team and see what we can do.
    In the mean time, anyone can create an account as we are 100% free to develop on.

Look forward to working with you and please don't hesitate to let us know how we can make the GiderOS integration even better.
  • ndossndoss Guru
    edited April 2012
    @GameMinion: Looking at the SDK some more, I don't think my quick & dirty attempt would have worked even if I'd had an account. Gideros is currently missing the ability to add headers url requests (see http://www.giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/comment/5404 and http://bugs.giderosmobile.com/issues/95). Good news is that it's supposed to be available in the next version (due out any day now?)
    @ndoss due this week, most most probably. Not much to do there left for the next version.

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @gorkem that's great really looking forward to see us fully functioning on GiderOS
  • @gorkem, any news on when this build is expected? We'd really like to test on it.
    It was (normally) due last week, but we had to delay in order to perform some tests. I talked to Atilim 2 hours ago and we are slated for this week.

Sorry for the confusion, but this Android bug has kept us all busy for the last 3 weeks or so, as fixing it included a massive amount of work.
  • avoavo Member
    I feel responsible :|

But I hope it wasn't too bad and it should be great for everyone to have that fixed :)
  • It was (normally) due last week, but we had to delay in order to perform some tests. I talked to Atilim 2 hours ago and we are slated for this week.

Sorry for the confusion, but this Android bug has kept us all busy for the last 3 weeks or so, as fixing it included a massive amount of work.
    And what was the problem? Seems to be a big issue if it required big changes! Makes me feel uneasy after just having released an android app.
  • evsevs Member
    Hello Mike,

I believe it was a Kindle Fire thing, so you should be ok, congrats on getting your app out (I haven't got an android device :( ----- YET!!!)

cheers

evs
  • @gorkem thanks for getting back to us, it really makes all the difference when the people who make tool actually care and are forthcoming!
    Looking forward to try it out.
    edited May 2012
    The problem is, when the device goes to sleep, all OpenGL context is lost (all OpenGL resources, eg textures are deleted). In order to prevent this, a compressed copy of OpenGL context is kept in memory using a very fast compression library, to prevent from using excessive memory. When the app is on foreground again, this copy is used. By the way, this method has the best tradeoff (speed vs size) among available ones (others methods include re-reading from disc, or keeping a 1-1 copy without compression).

• avoavo Member
    edited May 2012

I believe it was a Kindle Fire thing, so you should be ok, congrats on getting your app out (I haven't got an android device :( ----- YET!!!)
    I think it was actually all android devices on <2.3 which is still the majority of devices, at least that's what I think atilim said before.

Also, it would only happen if the device went to sleep with your app open, and not every time either. When it did occur though it would crash the device (kindle fire at least).
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    edited May 2012
    @avo, I also think it effects more devices than Kindle. But honestly I don't know which ones. For example, my Galaxy S II doesn't suffer from this problem.

@MikeHart can you update your app when we release the new version?

Also if anybody has any plans about releasing an app on Android, please wait for the new version.
  • MikeHartMikeHart Guru
    edited May 2012
    @MikeHart can you update your app when we release the new version?
    Of course I will do that right away.

• Is application:setKeepAwake(true) a workaround in current version?

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • avoavo Member
    Is application:setKeepAwake(true) a workaround in current version?
    i should have mentioned that's what I did in the meantime and it seemed to work, although obviously its not ideal unless your app needs that anyway.
  • Hi @GameMinion!

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Landon, and I requested to Beta Test your backend service GameMinion.

Now before I start using your Backend Service, I have a couple questions:

-Can your service provide a login page for my app?
    -Can your service be used in more of a native app rather than a game? (because all the other backend services kinda stink with implementation with Gideros.)
    -Can it be used to save dates, times, and locations?
    -Can you make a chat system with your service to allow users to communicate with eachother/
    -Can your service be able to search all users in the database to allow other Users to search for Others to allow them to join something?
    -Can your service update a table from the Wax library with new Events or Edited Events?

Thanks in Advance!
    -Landon
    JLS
    Lead Coder and Designer