Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
What do you think about it? — Gideros Forum

What do you think about it?

GregBUGGregBUG Guru
edited February 2013 in Relax cafe
hello guys i'm drawing the gfx for my (next/new/first) game...

this is my main character (it's like a frog) ... what do you think... ?

is friendly or unpleasant?

i really need to know if it can work on a real game ... or i need a total "redraw" ?

TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
www.tntengine.com
+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    I really like it! (But a graphics artist can give more constructive comments).
  • petecpetec Member
    edited February 2013
    I find it quite friendly, although I find the nearest front leg a bit odd sprouting out of the jaw. I've hacked your drawing about and moved the legs on the nearest side back a bit to see what that looks like. I seem to have ruined the quality of your graphic on the way - sorry about that!

Edit - ooh, unless it's only meant to have three legs in the first place??
    frog.jpg
    152 x 130 - 3K
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited February 2013
    @GregBug
    I think the design is good and the execution is well done too (nice work on the eyes).
    I was about to suggest the same thing as @petec.

Just one thing : did you draw teeth?
    If yes then I assume by looking at your picture that those are coming from the lower part of the mouth but frogs don't have teeth there.

If it was intentional and is part of the gameplay (maybe your frog eats rabbits!) then it's a good thing to make people curious about that.
    If it was not intentional, I would suggest to remove it.

Good work!
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • I like the design,love the face too,and colors.
    It has a great shape and seems full of character.
    I love the teeth it makes it look goofy,
    They might look even better 3 to 4 times bigger as it
    will be easier to read for the audience and make him even goofier.
    Eye pupil might look better if they are bigger (4 to 5 times) ,
    since eyes are the windows to the soul.
    I love the base colors over all,but you might want to play with it more.
    for example the tommy area(light green circle) might look better as a
    light orange like #FFA347
    or light blue :#66FFFF
    The spots in the back maybe fewer but bigger shapes(3 to 5 ),since they will be blended together by human eye as you see the character very small on screen.
    And you might want make their green color darker to pop them out more,
    just a touch not too much.
    By the way love the TNT Engines,I am started to play around with it and might use it in my game.
    And The character over all is very connectable to audience,
    I think some tiny changes can take it a long way.
    Cheers

www.zoolax.com
  • @all
    thanks for precious comments and suggestions !!!

tomorrow i'll update my gfx...
    about legs i'll try to modify as mentioned by @petec and @mells.

teeth was intentional (i like it)

also trying to modify pupils and teeth as suggested by @zoolax

tomorrow i'll post an update character! :)

thanks again guys!
    TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
    www.tntengine.com
  • I think it looks good. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • this is v2
    (color equalized to fit global game colors)

better or worse than v1?
    test2.png
    114 x 115 - 16K

www.tntengine.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I love it,This has so much more character and warmth.
    Love the colors,the warm green and the belly color,fit together great.
    The eyes grabs me right away,make it way more alive.
    Cheers
    www.zoolax.com
  • I really like the style, can't wait to see it in action!
  • Hey, that is really good. I like the last version very much. The only thing that I find odd is that the whole frog has more of a flat shading, which is good. And the eyes they have some gradient shading with highlights that make them shine to much. At least on my screen and with this small resolution. But I guess it is a matter of artistic prefence :-) Overall great execution. Keep it up! Which software did you use for it?
  • thanks for your help guys!.
    so i go with this character style!
    hope to upload soon a short video of the game in action.

@MikeHart Thanks! i use InkScape 0.48 (OSX).
    www.tntengine.com
  • Looks good. Like the second version better
  • New version looks much better to me.
  • Not being an artist I can't give you a critique from that point of view, however as a game player, I think it's fine, great even.

I'd be more interested to see animation tests, but I'd certainly be happy to see graphics of that quality in a game - god know's I've seen a lot worse! :)
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • @GregBUG still no idea what kind of motion you have in mind but almost sure you will be forced /probably/ to subdivide legs to two parts each for natural motion and behavior. Otherwise it looks great!