Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Another nail in the coffin ? — Gideros Forum

Another nail in the coffin ?

techdojotechdojo Guru
edited July 2012 in Relax cafe
Just browsing through the docs on the beer SDK site (yeah I know, traitor and all that - but I'm porting some code and I needed to read up on some of their API's) anyway - I noticed support for plugin's (or native extensions as they call them), however that functionality is only available to Corona Enterprise.

So you now have indie (iOS OR Android) which are both more expensive than the Gideros single solution, PRO which almost twice the price for both platforms (and supposedly faster access to the build server) and Enterprise (price unknown, but when you have to "contact them" for more details, I bet it's sphincter clenching!).

When will the madness end ???

I'm not surprised that so many dev's either give up or struggle with Obj-C / Java.

On the plus side - from a sales and marketing point of view their website does look quite polished and would appear to be successful at getting their brand / message across - so now you know where all your Corona subscription goes - to help improve Ansca's S&M fetish :)

@TheAtilim's take note - kudos to you, your doing it right laying all your goods on the table and keeping it simple, long may your system prevail and I hope you have the server infrastructure to handle all the business you so rightly deserve!
WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
#MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
Tagged:

Comments

• I have nothing nice to say about the beer SDK so I won't say anything except that I agree with everything you say.

If anyone asks me "What game sdk are you using?". I'm using Gideros Mobile. =D>

• I have heard that Corona Enterprise is somewhere is the thousands, so it really is beyond the price range of most indie developers. Gideros can do the exact same thing but for free. Long live Gideros!
    I am a programming noobie, so thanks in advance for helping me out and answering my questions!
  • OZAppsOZApps Guru
    edited July 2012
    @techdojo,
    If you look into the big picture, any company that has VC funding is based on the "Invest..Increase..Sell" model. Where increase is to create the market presence/value and then bail out with the millions.

They have had the investment and they want to sell, the only step in between is Increase. The first step was to get their Co-founder and the name he brought (Ansca) with it. There could be other things associated with his moving and supporting another framework along with his minions, a Fruit and some others.

The re-branding is making it ready for sale to a *sucker* maybe a bigger player like *Sam, who was singing* or something that can purchase the entire lot and not bother about the costs as they might need to provide a tool to further their platform, now that they are logger heads with the *anti-Doctor fruit* and a bit unhappy with *the smallest crap*.

The new site is nothing but a theme on the Drupal site they are running and though it looks more flashy, it is less functional.

On the pricing, yes you are right, The enterprise is in the range of $2000+ which they want to offer as they initially started off to do, to Advertising and Custom developers in Miami and other areas. There is a lot more, but some other day...

@atilim, sorry to take the bandwidth on this forum for this topic.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • Enterprise is 3K $ at Beer
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited July 2012
    @techdojo
    yeah I know, traitor and all that
    Even if I'm still new here, I don't think that the community on this forum is thinking that way?
    I believe here it's less about "us versus them" than "devs use the right tool for the right job".
    I use Gideros for my 2D apps, but I'm also learning a bit of Unity when I have some spare time. And I wouldn't understand other people calling me a traitor :)

In Japan, there is a community built around Corona Sdk. If my future clients give more importance to 'name recognition in the industry' than the features that I believe make Gideros a worthy contender, if I can't convince them, then I'll work with Corona (and charge accordingly). That money will pay the bills and allow me to work on my own apps with Gideros (I **really** like it).

I believe the community here has a passion for app dev first and Gideros is the tool that fits some of their needs.
    I have seen some of the other framework's forums (several) and it seems that they are more blinded about the tool they use (blind faith?).

I prefer the atmosphere here.

@OZApps maybe I am not experienced enough in app dev but I couldn't once find your *put a mysterious sentence here* :)
    If you look into the big picture, any company that has VC funding is based on the "Invest..Increase..Sell" model. Where increase is to create the market presence/value and then bail out with the millions.
    Well, "sometimes" it's also about creating more value for your customers (because a happy customer is worth much more). It's a great way to increase the value of what you have to sell. (Happy customer = higher total customer value).
    But I agree it happens rarely. Mmmm... hard to find an example :)
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • NascodeNascode Guru
    edited July 2012
    @Mells
    "it's also about creating more value for your customers (because a happy customer is worth much more)"

Agree

Lastly, using specific tech is never the goal, the goal is solving something with the help of tech.

have fun with our games~
    http://www.nightspade.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @techdojo
    yeah I know, traitor and all that
    Even if I'm still new here, I don't think that the community on this forum is thinking that way?
    @Mells - actually I was being sarcastic, maybe I should have added a smiley. However I agree, at the end of the day if it's the right tech for the job - use it. I still do some work with Corona and have an app in submission at the moment with it. At the time it was the right tech for the job - the client is already talking about future upgrades which if they come off will also have to be done in Corona (I'm not rewriting the code from scratch), their widget and storyboard libs allowed the code to be done quickly and easily.

However it is my intention that all new projects of this type will be done in Gideros and I want to create my own widget and storyboard libs to allow this to happen (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that...)

If I was doing heavyweight 3D stuff then UDK would be my first choice.

At the end of the day - I owe Corona a lot, it's earned me some money and I've made some new friends and got a lot of experience - I was initially posting this as a shoutout as to possibly WHY dev's are leaving Corona when you can get the same (if not better) here for a fraction of the price.
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill