Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Writing non games app with Gideros — Gideros Forum

Writing non games app with Gideros

Unknown Member
edited March 2013 in General questions
I'm almost done with my first brain teaser app for iOS using XCode and obj-C. I'm a experienced C#/Java developer and curious about the Gideros and what it can offer in writing non-game apps that runs natively on several platforms. First and foremost, I'm also following Xamarin Studio (using Visual Studio, C#) and Flash Builder Premium to build cross platform apps. In those lines, what I would like to know is whether Gideros support native iOS/Android controls in the same way XCode does for iOS and Eclipse (w/ Android) or basic4Android does for Android. This is very important for me and I don't want to deviate in using non-standard controls that confuses user experience on each of the platforms. What about the IDE?. Can I drag and drop native controls on the designer for iOS and Android in the same way XCode, Eclipse w/Android and Xamarin Studio for iOS/Android does?. What about the learning curve?. I don't mind learning a new language as long as it supports true native experience across multiple platforms. Does Gideros framework sit on top of the app stack in the same way as Mono framework does?

Please advise.

Comments

• I don't know about stack, but answer for your questions about native controls is negative :(
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    If your question would be about game related apps, I would say yes, try it out and Gideros could deliver better results in both development time and overall performance of game then many other frameworks.
    But, it was not really meant for non gaming apps and as @unlying said, does not support native UI, at least not yet.
    Although it does provide an ability to extend Gideros SDK with plugins to support everything that native platform specific options offer, but it would only benefit you if this would not be the only project you will be working on (thus could re-use all developed code many times) and really liked something of Gideros SDK specific features (either it would be Lua language, or one click testing, or Gideros framework in general).
    In other cases, as I said, it was not meant to provide true native experience, although it could, but that would require much more resources from development part.
  • bowerandybowerandy Guru
    edited March 2013
    @dk_gen, bear in mind that Gideros is an SDK and framework for creating 2D OpenGL based graphics apps for iOS and Android. If what you are trying to write fits that model then it may well be a good choice, whether it is a game or a business app. You should find Lua coding significantly faster than using ObjectiveC/Java etc.

Whilst Gideros itself doesn't provide native controls out of the box, if your main focus is iOS (rather than Android), you can use my Hot Wax plugin to provide a bridge between Lua and Objective C, which will give you UIViews and more in your Gideros app.

http://bowerhaus.eu/blog/files/hot_wax.html

I wouldn't recommend using this to code in Lua as if you were writing in Objective C but it certainly makes accessing native stuff easier than writing a Gideros plugin. Again, this is only relevant to iOS development.

In answer to your question about dragging native controls onto the "designer", the answer is no. Mainly because there is no "designer" component as part of the SDK. However, for non-native, controls there are a variety of third-party add-ons available that allow you layout app screens visually.

best regards