Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
AppStore sales? — Gideros Forum

AppStore sales?

amaximovamaximov Member
edited July 2013 in General questions
This is not really a Gideros question but since I am FINALLY making the happy switch from Corona to Gideros I thought it would be appropriate to ask here about AppStore sales. I've been on Google Play for almost a year and just released 2 games on the AppStore so I do realize that it is impossible to give an accurate sales estimate that depends on your SEO, target audience, app quality etc. but I am wondering if it's possible to make an estimate relative to previous perfomance?

About 9 days ago I released 2 free iOS games. One started with just over 1k downloads a day and is now hovering between 200 - 300 a day. It was also "featured" as #8 on new arcade apps for 3 days (Doesn't seem much of an accomplishment but just posting it for info). Cumulatively it has gotten about 2.5k - 3k downloads in the first 9 days. The other game didn't do as well but it's at about 1k downloads total.

These are far from stellar figures but assuming I can up my marketing and app quality a bit more, how well do you think paid app sales would go? I'm a highschool student so this is not necessary for me to make a living yet but I'm interested in experimenting with monetization strategies. With this app I'd specifically like to try making it paid in ann attempt to sacrifice download numbers for raw revenue (Ads don't pay very much)

Anybody have any suggestions or info they could share bout iOS game sales?

Note: If this means anything, the first game is also free on Google Play and has gotten about 33k downloads on Android over the past 5 or 6 months

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• MellsMells Guru
    edited July 2013
    Hi @Amaximov
    I don't have apps in the app store currently under my own name but I have been working over the last 10 months marketing some apps that you might have heard about (don't want to go into the details much).
    it's possible to make an estimate relative to previous perfomance?
    It's possible if you know what metrics you are tracking, who your target audience is and if you have a clear map about what you are tweaking, how to measure the results AND interpret it.
    The evolution of the market is also a variable constantly updated (whether it is a trend for ex IAP are more accepted by users now than 6 months ago, or a timely one ex:it's summer, does your app fit with a theme or not?).

If you don't have all of this ready, there is no way you are going to reproduce the right conditions to predict results.
    assuming I can up my marketing and app quality a bit more, how well do you think paid app sales would go?
    With this app I'd specifically like to try making it paid in ann attempt to sacrifice download numbers for raw revenue (Ads don't pay very much)
    The psychology behind paying for an app vs downloading it for free is so different that it does not translate to a smallest downloads number only.
    You are talking to a different target, so you might need to reposition your app too depending on what you are providing.
    People who play "Limbo" and "Sword & Sorcery" are not necessary the same who play Jetpack Joyride (there might be an overlap though). So your marketing needs to address those wants/needs.

Getting Started

I'm interested in experimenting with monetization strategies.
    Find a paid app that is similar to yours and copy their positioning first.
    What successful games are already played by your target?
    What is their monetization strategy?

That's a good exercise because you will have to develop an understanding of what makes a positioning a... positioning, what makes it different than others, how it helps to target the right audience for your app.

Try to have a clear understanding of the variables you are tracking.
    Over time, tweak 1 variable at a time and see the results.
    You will be able to see patterns, why this test worked and the other did not.
    Then you'll have a framework of what to do depending on the type of app you are working on.

I hope it helps.

twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • Thanks for all the advice Mells. I'll definitely experiment with all the possible monetization strategies. I think that I will try to do a Lite and Paid version for my upcoming game, a strategy that I THINK will work well for a game with some upgrades and good replay value. I might start a blog on my studio website about it if things get interesting!