Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
[SOLVED] Android Studio and Gideros — Gideros Forum

[SOLVED] Android Studio and Gideros

antixantix Member
edited February 2015 in User experience
How does it work? There is an error message in the import log...

Ignored Files:
--------------
The following files were *not* copied into the new Gradle project; you
should evaluate whether these are still needed in your project and if
so manually move them:

* gideros.jar
* jni\
* jni\Application.mk
---

What do I do now? I copied the gideros.jar file to the projects lib folder but it won;t build. It just says it can't find the package!

I post this here because I can't seem to find any tutorial or information on how to resolve this issue elsewhere. It is totally ruining my user experience thus far.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• Nevermind, solved it. It seems you need to copy the .jar file in Windows Explorer, then paste it into the project inside the Android Studio project. Then you right click and add a dependency. Strange, but at least I'm on my way now :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks for this, I'm thinking of using Android Studio soon too.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • I just imported and built one of my older games with it, it all seemed fairly easy.

One pain will be Gideros not outputting the project to the proper location directly though - the sooner this gets updated the better.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • What are the pros and cons of using android studio vs eclipse? @antix @SinisterSoft

I use eclipse, it only bothers me when I need to update due to new android releases, but overall I am satisfied... and I suppose you have to update android studio too to the latest release... so why choose one over the other - which is already "supported" by gideros? :)
  • I like/prefer Eclipse, but that might be because I'm used to it - Android Studio is 'different' and might be better - Google are not supporting the Eclipse plugin anymore, only Android Studio.

It would be best if Gideros export had a tickbox for Android Studio in the export.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I also use Eclipse but only because everyone else uses it. I've had a few issues with it but I have always been able to find a workaround.
  • Thank you for your answers, I suppose that if google is no longer giving support to eclipse we will all be forced to switch to android studio with the next gideros release. :)

• hopefully Gideros and Ads Interface get updated soon to support Android Studio and 64 bits iOS apps. For now I'm stuck and not developing anymore.
  • I have gone with Android Studio because google has made Eclipse obsolete unfortunately.

I can't say anything about Eclipse vs Android Studio, since I am only using android Studio purely to compile APK files. currently besides getting the gideros.jar file added as a reference to make it actually compile my APK's I have no desire to investigate it further :)
  • @SinisterSoft, i added this to gideros source issues as it seems moving to android studio will be necessary at some point (if eclipse is not supported by google)?

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Thank you @keszegh
    providing a choice of exporting eclipse or android studio also could be an option
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited March 2015
    @ar2rsawseen, sure, like this it would be good.
    (although i could not install android studio so far, so i might stick to eclipse as long as possible)
  • antixantix Member
    Android Studio seems to work just fine. I have just exported the Eclipse projects, then imported them as "non Android Studio" in Android Studio. Still, having Gideros export specifically to Android Studio couldn't hurt.

@keszegh, Do you get some specific error when installing Android Studio? I have installed on 2 of my workstations now, and my laptop without any issue.

• @antix, when installing android studio i wanted to specify the folder where my android sdk is already installed and the dialog window is just buggy, there is no way to choose a folder. as i did not want to install another copy of the sdk to some other folder, i decided to postpone this for now.
  • antixantix Member
    @keszegh, Ahh I see. I would think if you installed them to the same folder then there might be conflicts. Personally I always install it to c:\android\android studio which just works. some programs are flakey and don;t like to be installed in some places *shrug*
  • Just in case someone else has these issues on Mac OS X Yosemite...

To run the sample birds project I did the following:
    1. Open birds project in Gideros Studio & verify it runs in the Gideros Emulator, then Export Project as Android.
    2. Download Android Studio 1.1 - Install a ton of suggested crap - not sure exactly what.
    3. In Android Studio, on the Welcome To Android Studio screen click "Import Project (Eclipse ADT, Grade. etc)
    4. Browse to the directory that Gideros created for the export (should contain /assets, /src, gideros.jar and other Gideros generated files). Select the Directory and click "OK"
    5. In Android Studio Project pane (left side) browse to the "app" directory. Then Create a directory called "libs"... and put gideros.jar in it so ..... /Bird Animation/app/libs/gideros.jar
    6. Right-click gideros.jar and select "add as dependency". Verify that this worked by browsing to app/build.gradle. You should see

dependencies {
    compile files('libs/gideros.jar')
    }

**WARNING. There is another build.gradle file at the top level of your project. If Android Studio put the code there, then delete it and fix the mistake by making it put the lines in the correct build.grade
    7. Drop to the terminal and in your Bird Animation/ folder there should be an executable file called ./gradelw so type $gradlew clean and it will download a bunch of crap
    8. Click the "Play" button. As long as you have the Android SDK installed, it will popup a window, and you can select to run it in an Android Simulator. It will take a minute to pop up but it should work.

My major problems were #4,5,6 and then #8 I apparently didn't have an Android SDK installed (even though I thought I selected a few of them in #2).

@ar2sawseen mentioned in another thread this post (which is essentially where I stole this from but it wasn't geared towards OS X users)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16608135/android-studio-add-jar-as-library/16628496#16628496

I also had to google some error messages like : gradle dsl method not found 'compile()'

-velobuff
  • btw @antix, i managed to make android studio work, apparently i had some other problems with the android sdk too, so it was not stricly android studio's fault that it could not find the sdk on the location i pointed at.
  • @velobuff, on step #5 do you mean create a new module, or new android resource directory? Also, what type of module or resource directory (when you create a new one it asks for phone and tablet module,android library, etc.).