Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Pubish app to App Store — Gideros Forum

Pubish app to App Store

SPDAppsSPDApps Member
edited July 2012 in Building a team?
like the title says i am looking for someone to compile and publish my app to the app store

Comments

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    I dont want to spoil the game, but - whenever you want an update you'll need him and there's no guarantee that he'll be always at your service. Your name won't be listed there, and you probably will be ending up confusing your customers/users. And believe me, it wont look professional.

Just my 2 cents.
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited July 2012
    How about creating public Gideros Mobile account for Gideros developer's to publish their free apps (for one's that don't have Mac's)?
    I think we could be able to crowdsource it
    Just my 2 cents :D
    Is there a rule of "1 account should be owned by one person/company" by Apple? I looked for it around but couldnt find.
  • @gorkem, I don't believe there is since if I remember correctly GameSalad (http://www.gamesalad.com/) does something like what @ar2rsawseen is talking about. Personally I like having my games under my company accounts, but I could certainly see how new people wanting to get their games up and out would love the feature--and it would probably be very good for visibility for Gideros Studio itself.
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
    I'm a bit puzzled about how to handle this account, some questions popped in my mind. I'm not skeptical, just trying to understand how it works:

1. Who will be maintaining this account? Probably Atilim or Deniz will be covering this.
    2. Will the compilation process be manual or automatic?
    3. If it's manual, what will happen when X number of developers apply for it? (X =~100?)

PS: I'm also not sure how to handle the automated compilation and submission procedure either. :) If automation is strictly required for this (see item 3), then I'd go for cleaning up the roadmap, and implement Mac/Win ports first. :)
  • @gorkem guess your right gonna have to shell out $99
  • @gorkem, though you might have the right intentions, the BeerCommunityBundle (a set of indie apps they sold together as one app) under their own name, caused a massive fallout. You would not want to change your business relationship with your community, would you?

If you start a separate company like Rovio, that will only publish apps for users on their behalf, that could be a good idea.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • I've got an account but if I published anything with it I'd have full control over the apps (including price) and I'd be responsible for anything the app did. I've also got partners who I'd have to discuss doing something like this with. I've heard of this type of thing before but only when it goes bad, and it has gone bad before. So I wouldn't publish someone else's app lightly. I'm thinking that nobody is really going to want me to publish their app, so I'm not really offering. I'm just saying my 2 cents. It might be cool to have some sort of Gideros account. But now
  • (that's weird, my comment was cut off)

But now that I think about it, the Joustin Beaver app publisher was sued. This isn't something that should be done lightly.
  • When I was involved with Zimusoft for the DragonFireSDK, they WOULD publish app's on behalf of their customers however they had to be FREE apps, although what @Magnusviri siad is true - the publisher then becomes liable for all the support and potentially all the fall out (ie Joustin Beaver).

I think it's a massive can of worms and for a $99 account I don't think it's worth it - however for those dev's without access to Mac's admittedly life does become more difficult.

Another alternative for non-Mac owners would be for dev's to have their own $99 account and for a fee authorise @Gorkem (or whoever) to have limited access to their accounts and build and submit on their behalf, or this could be a service provided by an enterprising developer with a Mac and time to spare - the danger though is that what often happens (as did with Zimusoft) is that said enterprising developer actually ends up providing unpaid technical support when app's didn't compile or there are issues and the original developer doesn't know how to fix them.

Just my $0.02
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited July 2012
    I believe Gideros's time resources would be better invested somewhere else.
    1. For those that want to publish an app, 99$ is not that much.
    2. A free version of Gideros is available.
    3. Need a mac to build? (Haven't tried though) MacInCloud
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • ScouserScouser Guru
    edited July 2012
    Interesting that MacInCloud claims to have Gideros Studio installed as one of their tools as well as the beer SDK. If this works as advertised then $8 per day, pay as you go seems a very reasonable solution. I don't personally have a mac of my own so I may try this when the Android version of my app is live. Thanks for the heads up @Mells.
  • techdojotechdojo Guru
    edited July 2012
    I believe Gideros's time resources would be better invested somewhere else.
    (*cough cough* render to texture, clipping, openGLES 2.0, shaders, world dominance *cough cough*)

:)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

• PS: I'm also not sure how to handle the automated compilation and submission procedure either. :) If automation is strictly required for this (see item 3), then I'd go for cleaning up the roadmap, and implement Mac/Win ports first. :)
    @gorkem: I'm interested in your updating the status for "cleaning up the roadmap" as I've noticed it's quite silent here: http://bugs.giderosmobile.com/projects/gideros-studio-sdk/roadmap

:)
  • Personally as mentioned above I would much rather control my own apps in my accounts. And while some newer users--or those without macs--might find it very useful, I think it might be a big can of worms Gideros Studio doesn't want to open at this time. (And every app would have to be manually screened before posting it or you might get the whole account shutdown for something really silly)

I would also prefer to see some of the advancements in Gideros Studio over a community submission account. But I guess I am not the best face for this one as I have 2 mac,s and 2 windows boxes heh :) $99.00 is not much for an account, and for those that can't do the iPhone at the moment, android is only $25! which is easily compiled on either mac or windows and exports fine from Gideros, so I think there are options already if people are truly starting out.

Happy 4th of July Everyone! :)
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
    edited July 2012
    Well I don't say that it was a great idea, but that's the idea that at least could be considered. My self I probably won't require such service, but just look at how many apps built with Gideros are published as android only. I can't say that this service would be popular, but I guess, there are members that could use it.

1. Joustine Beaver was sued only because they didn't comply with Cease and desist order. If application would be removed from market place after such order, I think there would be no charges to account holder.

2. If we create a community app all together, where and how would we publish it? :D

@gorkem
    1. Hopefully Deniz would handle that
    2. I think it can be manual, because there won't be many of such apps
    3. They will simply wait in a long long queue

But of course let's not forget, that there is no point of creating such service, if Gideros would not somehow profit from it, for example from marketing aspect. If you see no gain from it, then it is probably not worth it.
    Well believe me, it's not a matter of "gain" - most of the time we do it only for fun, and gain is ignored. I feel just a bit concerned with my doubts, as this will be a very 1-1 support with each developer and instead of supporting devs with their updates to Appstore, we could be developing another feature, writing another document etc with our limited resources :) And looks like MacInCloud exactly does that - whenever the dev needs an update, he needs to pay USD8, which is quite a fair amount.

I'm fully in line with your statements about number of Android apps vs iPhone apps - most probably because of lack of motivation to pay USD99 per year for a developer license. On the other hand I'm a bit hesitant with giving such a support, and then feeling worried to make devs unhappy, just because for example they expect an app to be sent to Appstore the same day of submission, and we are just away from our desktops for a vacation.

Hope you understand me.
    edited July 2012
    If I need to chose, I myself vote for windows platform support, rather than this service :D
  • @Gorkem - My feeling is that whilst this would be a generous offer on behalf of Gideros, the reality is that it would very quickly become a pain and all the "love" would very soon disappear.

You already provide an excellent service with a very low barrier to entry, any more and you'll be giving your time for free and in the end not be thanked.

IMHO there NEED's to be some barrier to entry or otherwise you'll get 10,000 people all sign up for the free service, hog all the bandwidth with "will you write my game for me..." posts, and ruin it for the ones who actually want to work and pursue their passion (which is exactly what happened to Dragonfire SDK)

• MellsMells Guru
    edited July 2012
    Well believe me, it's not a matter of "gain" - most of the time we do it only for fun, and gain is ignored.
    @gorkem I do wish that you also focus on "gain" in some ways to guarantee the best future for Gideros.
    I appreciate this attitude very much, but I am not sure it's always the one that creates the biggest positive impact.

From my experience, all the projects that I have worked on to help "only for fun" didn't have a big impact because I soon suffered from lack of resources (time) and had to give up.

And that's a sad thing : helping without impact (and wide spread) can be a disappointment. And more if you have to give up supporting your first followers one day because of that.
    this will be a very 1-1 support with each developer and instead of supporting devs with their updates to Appstore, we could be developing another feature, writing another document etc with our limited resources
    If you need us to express our opinion (if not, please ignore the following :) ) please "please" ignore this idea. That would be a very time-consuming task.
    On the other hand I'm a bit hesitant with giving such a support, and then feeling worried to make devs unhappy
    The way Gideros has been developed until now is I believe the best one to make devs happy. So please keep on supporting devs by focusing on the requests that have been made and you will see more apps developed for iOS.

We all know that your team is dedicated to help devs. You don't need to explain more ;)
    Please get more business and "gain" so we can rest assured that our requests will be supported in the near future.
    This discussion is a non-issue I think, given its apparent low priority.

Support us by keeping the exact same path that you've been following until now :)
    IMHO there NEED's to be some barrier to entry "
    @techdojo I totally agree.

twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • OZAppsOZApps Guru
    edited July 2012
    ... and we are just away from our desktops for a vacation.
    Hope you understand me.
    No, we do not understand you, you can actually *THINK* of a vacation??
    :D

twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
  • I could be regurgitating the same things that many have said, and agree with TechDojo 100% on the fact that the *love* can disappear almost instantly given one error as it has happened with the Beer framework.
    If the barrier that developers have is the absence of the ability to upload to the iTunes store for not having a mac desktop (and not wanting to spend on one) then asking someone(a friend) to upload for you (to your account) or using MacInACloud is a good option.

• techdojotechdojo Guru
    edited July 2012
    @OZApps - the @Cetin's live in Turkey, land of sun, sea, sand, kebab's - hacking away on Gideros all day, partying all night, every day is a holiday for them :) :) :)

Maybe MTV could do a new indie-dev-reality TV show - "At home with the Cetins"

Just had a vivid image of @Atilim shuffling around Ozzy style shouting "Deniz..." :))

Also : just noticed my post count is now 404, does this mean I can't be found in the forum anymore, should I go hide for a while :))
  • denizdeniz Maintainer
    edited July 2012
    Hey all,

I just came eating kebap while swimming and having a cocktail... I'd wish!! Instead I am working at home with Atılım:) Which is fun, obviously, but sometimes beaches can be fun too... (this message is intented for Atılım:)

Well, on other things...

@Mells, I feel you. For a sustainable business and the growth of Gideros, we have to make money. Our first priority is to reach a lot of developers and make an amazing product that helps developers create amazing games. I think Görkem meant that. We believe game development should be easy and fun. But, developers should make money too so they can continue to make games and have fun:) It is same with us. We want Gideros Studio to be the best tool to make games and grow, reach wider audiences.

In this forum, or other places, there are many discussions going on about the competitors. I just want to say... It is great to have competition. I have great respect for people who are in this business. Because I know it is hard. And "help developers to make games" is very very valuable. We have differences in the way of making games, we have different philosophies, but these differences are mostly technical.

Companies are built to make money, otherwise you are no longer in the business. However price/growth strategies can change from company to company.

By the way, I really like this community a lot. I enjoy reading the forum, even I can not contribute as much as Atılım. (I have other duties) I am very very excited with each new game. You guys are great!

cheers!

• Very nice song :)

I will consider publishing for others. I'd have to look into the legal stuff and contracts if someone was really interested. I've already used some of my 100 devices for other Gideros developers so they could put the Gideros Player on their phones. It took a bit of work but I think is worth it. I haven't heard back from the developers asking for updated players so I'm thinking that they have lost interest or got busy doing something else.

If I published an app for someone I see the same thing happening. People can really be flakey. I am a perfect example of someone who wanted to do something and got other people involved and then backed out. Personally, I think if someone really wants to publish an app then $99 is a small obstacle and having someone else publish for them wont make any difference.

But if the $99 and the burden of making an account really is an obstacle for someone and they really do have a product then I will consider publishing for them and I'm sure others would too. Show us a product then post on the forum and we can arrange something out.

• techdojotechdojo Guru
    edited July 2012
    I would seriously counsel someone to NOT offer this service to someone you don't know (or trust) very well - performing this service for money is one thing, but for free - the abuse you'll get and the hassle and potential legal pitfalls (just remember Joustin Beaver) are just not worth it because as the "offical" publisher, it's YOUR app and YOU will be the first point of contact for anything that follows.

If someone want's to release an app store game badly enough then $99 for their own account and $8 for a days hire of a MacInTheCloud won't stop them. If they don't think that their app is good enough to take a $107 punt on or likely to generate at least that in revenue then it won't and you'll just sully your own Apple reputation with "yet another crap app".

I can write bad enough code on my own - I don't need to publish other peoples!
  • @Gorkem - actually I was thinking more along these lines

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6udwg72m0sxg6yq/2012-05-19 23.25.18.mp4

Black Sabbath's farewill gig in their home town of Birmingham - final track of the night! PARANOID!!!!

>:) >:) >:) >:) >:)

(sorry for the poor quality - it was recorded on my ZTE-Blade!)