Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Pixar story rules & The Hero with a Thousand Faces — Gideros Forum

Pixar story rules & The Hero with a Thousand Faces

MellsMells Guru
edited June 2012 in Relax cafe
Hi,

I know that app developers and book authors share the love for telling stories.
Here are a few resources that might be useful for those that have never heard about it.

The Pixar Touch

Pixar story artist Emma Coats has tweeted a series of “story basics” over the past month and a half — guidelines that she learned from her more senior colleagues on how to create appealing stories:
  1. You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
  2. You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.
  3. Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
  4. Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
  5. Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
    What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
  6. Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
  7. Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
  8. When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
  9. Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it
  10. There are more rules, you should read it
Read the full article here : Pixar story rules (one version)

I thought some of you could be interested in it, I have been following those advices for a long time until I saw this list that sums it up so well.

The Hero With A Thousand Faces

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by joseph Campbell is also an interesting read.
Here is a graphics under that represents the content of the book.

Credits : Go into the story by Scott Myers

twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
+1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments