Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hi! — Gideros Forum

Hi!

nicholasclaygnicholasclayg Member
edited August 2012 in Introduce yourself
What's up? My name is Nick and I develop games. I haven't released anything, but that's ok. I am still kind of using Corona SDK (like a lot of people, it seems, not sure if people jumping ship or just checking things out) but wanted to see if there was an advantage to using Gideros.

So far there is! Performance boost, in a corona project my levels contain over 700 vertices. I'm doing some stupid stuff (im new to coding so i'm sure there are more efficient ways) like creating a joint, attaching an object and attach again and again and again, then erase them all and then save that to a table then create the object again and attach more things to it. It's kind of like a generative world generator (why I am so damn ambitious, should have just made a fart sound maker, or something retarded like that lol). Corona I would get in the 40's FPS, in Gideros I was getting high 50's sometimes even hitting 60 for awhile. That's nuts! Also, there were some issues with groups and applying manipulation to a group or whatever. I haven't had such problems so far on Gideros.

I have a crap load of games in the pipeline (33 games that I want to make) but can only focus on one at a time. I'm married, have a 1 year old son and work a real job doing architecture for datacenters, networks etc. I code at night mostly (and sometimes on lunch break haha), so I don't move as fast. I found gideros to be about the same code length wise as Corona yet the performance is better. I don't know why that is, but really I don't care - it works.

I'm not yet fully decided on if I'm switching or not, but so far I'm about 2 weeks in and I haven't fired up corona yet so that is probably an indicator.

I'll post back sometime and see where I am at.

I'm on twitter @cellphonegaming if you want to follow, or whatever

bye! -Nick
+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• GregBUGGregBUG Guru
    edited August 2012 Accepted Answer
    ahah! Nick nice presentation!
    and welcome here >:D<

i'm sure i'll jump on gideros Family :)
    I code at night mostly (and sometimes on lunch break haha), so I don't move as fast.
    same for me!

I'm on twitter @cellphonegaming if you want to follow, or whatever
    i'm already following you! :)

ciao!

TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
    www.tntengine.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Yea, I know YOU are following me already :)

I think the biggest challenge I am having is Corona SDK made things almost too easy to do (maybe that at the cost of performance). It did require less lines of code, especially on physics stuff and joints. However it appears even if it does take more to do what I want in Gideros, so far it's worth it.

I wish the API reference had more examples of usage, I'm having to piece together things from many examples and trial and error to get things to work, but that's ok I guess that comes from learning something new.

Weeeeeeee!

ng

• techdojotechdojo Guru
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Nick,
    Your story is so typical of most developers (me included) on here, so I'm sure you'll fit right in :)

WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • Thank you thank you!

I'm a one man show pretty much! I've worked for a few studios in hollywood CA and san diego, and I am also a studio musician. I do music production, sound effects, recording etc. Currently I'm providing music to a 2 developers who are Corona SDK (you know that OTHER sdk hah). I do everything from orchestra to bleepy boop techno click stuff (8bit).

Game development obviously is different but I see a ton of people who complain about sounds, I don't worry about that. The way I work is if someone helps me out, or is generally overall a solid person who goes out of their way to help out I usually reach out to them and offer (that's how I got involved in a couple of games doing sound tracks). I think it's good to help others, as long as it's a 2 way street!

ehh, yea that's all for now.

-ng
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Nicholas, and welcome to our lively forum \:D/
  • techdojotechdojo Guru
    Accepted Answer
    Well if you need any advice on game programming feel free to give me a shout :)
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • I will keep that in mind :)

I've spend a lot of time on http://appcodingeasy.com (its ar2rsawseen website). Lots of examples over there!

At least I don't have to reinvent the wheel too much, most of the stuff I can re-purpose. Still in prototyping mode to test Box2d collision detection, filtering etc etc.

I'm pretty damn excited though, slowly adding in things from my corona based game to this.

-Ng