Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Researching sdks/platforms, found Gideros, a couple questions — Gideros Forum

Researching sdks/platforms, found Gideros, a couple questions

codegritcodegrit Member
edited March 2013 in General questions
Hey Everyone -

I'm in search of a sdk/platform/engine for my new game. I'm currently looking very hard at Moai SDK, Cocos2d-X, and LibGdx. I would say LibGdx is probably last on my list, just because I can't stand Java and would much prefer Scala but that can be a pain to get running on iOS.

Moai shows great promise but every time I spend time with it, I get frustrated. The hosts aren't really ready for prime time yet, they provide no lua file protection out of the box.. in fact, they provide very little out of the box. That's good because I really have complete freedom (which I like) but it's bad because I'll end up spending 50% of my time working on hosts and what not.

Then there's Cocos2d-x. Looks good and is based off the ever popular Cocos2d. However I haven't been able to find any good information on their Lua support. For instance: Can I write a whole game in Lua with Cocos2d-X? Some say yes, others say no. While I can write C++, and will if I have to, I would much prefer to spend most of my time in Lua.

So then I found Gideros. It does look pretty cool.. and seems to offer most of what I'm after: Lua, tools provided for me out of the box, etc. But with that said, I have a couple questions that I would like to hopefully get answered before I take the plunge and actually *try* Gideros :)

1) How open is Gideros? What I mean is, am I locked down like I would be with Corona or can I extend Gideros with native code? i.e: Can I write some of my game in native (c++, java, objective-c, etc) if I need the performance, or can I extend my game with some native functionality that's not provided out of the box?

2) What's the performance of Gideros like? I'm looking at doing something slightly more advanced than Battleheart (though Turn Based and not real time). Can Gideros handle that (surprisingly, I couldn't get Corona to play nice in my tests so I had to ask).

3) Does Gideros offer support for sockets out of box? Maybe LuaSockets? On this path, does Gideros offer the ability to call web services out of the box?

4) What kind of data persistence does Gideros offer? Can I use SQLite? How about serialization and deserialization to and from json? How about saving Lua tables and then loading them later?

5) Am I locked into the Gideros studio editor? I'd much prefer to be able to work in Sublime Text 2 :)

Edit: forgot a question. I see there are plans for shipping to Windows and OSX. Are there currently any time tables for when this will be ready?

Many thanks in advance!!

Comments