Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
hello gideros community & memory issues — Gideros Forum

hello gideros community & memory issues

zombiezombie Member
edited May 2013 in Introduce yourself
Hello Gideros folks

compliments:

Hello, I am Marco. I am an developer. Recently i teamed up with a designer. We are investigating the possibilities of different tools for building (iOs iPad) apps. I have some experience with Unity, which is nice. But the designer and i decided to go 2d, that's troublesome in Unity... So Gideros came along.

I like the quick 'live coding' properties of Gideros. unmatched by other tools as far as i know. And i am beginning to like Lua, really a fun language.

problems:

But it's hard to find in depth documentation, for instance, how about (monitoring) memory. I know collectgarbage("count"), but this only informs about Lua's footprint.

To be precise: I have about 350 sprites on one parent child, all with the same texture... this is ok on iPad 3. But when i double this - now i have 2 sprites, each parenting 350 sprites), only some parts of some sprites show up. (this never happens with Unity when you use your textures wisely). When i change the texture of the sprites with a small one, the same problem occurs. Even if one parent is never added to the stage, the problem occurs in the other -supposedly visible- parent.

In other words, I can really use some Gideros-tips on managing sprites/textures wisely. Our project requires a lot of sprites (only a portion of them has to be on stage at the same time though).
Can anybody tell me if using Meshes is a solution?
I think that removing sprites from stage does not release the memory used for its graphics.

And, I am very curious to the RenderToTexture feature... (and sound features etc;)

I sincerely hope somebody can give some pointers (otherwise i have to switch back to Unity... sigh...)

Happy coding,

Marco

Comments