Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
question about gideros's licences and if it's free or not. — Gideros Forum

question about gideros's licences and if it's free or not.

aimoiaimoi Member
edited August 2015 in General questions
Hi everyone,
I have started to learn and use gideros for about five weeks from now. The reason I chose gideros was it's being free and open source. Well at first sight I thought it's completely free and I would have access to all available features like any other open source apps. But today when I was searching for implementing in-app-purchases I saw here http://docs.giderosmobile.com/interface/main and at the last line it has said you should upgrade to premium user to be able to use this feature. Then I found here http://giderosmobile.com/pricing and I found out seems like there would be a splash screen on my project after making it unless I buy the "indie" or "pro" version. And like other game engines there is obligation after reaching a specified revenue for buying the "pro" version.

so I searched more and found out that the project has gone open sourced since a year ago. Now my question is "Is gideros FREE and open source as you have declared in projects site?" So what is it about splash screens and features only for premium users? so exactly where is difference between gideros and other game engines that are not free? like "unrel" or "unity". At least they have exactly declared which features are available in not-paying versions and which are not.

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Gideros went free when it became open source. What you saw are remains of what the site was before gideros was open source. Because now that gideros is free, there are no more people dedicated to maintaining the web site, nor the code itself actually...

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • So if I export my app now, there won't be any trouble with splash screen? and so what will happen for the "Common interfaces" or any thing which was once only available for the paid versions? They will be available open sourced and freely?
  • piepie Member
    Accepted Answer
    @aimoi splash screen has been removed when gideros went open source, while everything that was available only for the paid version is already published on gideros github, with any other improvement made by the core team
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited September 2015 Accepted Answer
    I can confirm all aspects of Gideros are completely free. You can make unlimited use of Gideros to produce any number of apps without any charge or fee. Furthermore, Gideros is open source so you have the right to download, alter and redistribute the code and/or binaries in any way you choose without restriction.

Also Gideros uses the MIT open source licence (a permissive license) meaning you are not obliged to release your Lua source code open source. You may keep your Gideros projects secret and/or charge a fee for them if you wish.

So Gideros is completely free in every sense of the word!

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook