Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Example game — Gideros Forum

Example game

totebototebo Member
edited July 2016 in General questions
Hi guys,

@antix is struggling with plugins and Android Studio. How feasible would an example project with the most used plugins implemented be (GameKit, Google Play Services, ads)? I find seeing working code and settings helps, maybe it's an option for plugins (that are a mystery to everyone I think).

Niclas
My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• simwhisimwhi Member
    @totebo I think that's a great idea. Implementing plugins is the weakest aspect to Gideros at the moment. I mean that as no criticism to the maintainers, as they all do an amazing job. Future development should be directed at improving/tidying this up. I understand that the plugin exporter is underway, but what can new developers do in the meantime.

I have the following plugins working on Android: Admob, Applovin, Flurry, Facebook and IAB.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Problem is, I don't get around Android Studio myself yet.
    Still using Eclipse and still no problems :)

But for the couple or recent nights, I have worked more on exporting mechanisms, basically finishing parts @hgy29 started, adding missing bits, etc.

And now I am able to export not only APK but also Eclipse and Android Studio exports with simple plugins, like controller.

I have no idea how to add complex plugins like Facebook, Googleplay, etc to Android Studio yet myself. But going plugin by plugin from easy ones to more hard ones, will get there eventually.

P.S now all exports also export provided app icon, which is automatically resized in all needed sizes and I am also adding parts like tv icon and vertical and horizontal splash images
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    @ar2rsawseen I use Android Studio exclusively now, so if I can be of assistance I am more than happy to help. In fact, I would really love to know how to maintain some of the Android plugins, but wouldn't know where to start. For the facebook plugin, check out my user guide.

I know it's a lot of work and we really appreciate it.
  • antixantix Member
    A lot people get into developing apps with the idea that they might get rich (at least that's my pipe-dream). To make any money from a game you need to monetize it somehow. Generally when you are producing mobile applications that will be in the form of in app advertising, and in app purchases.

I wrote a small post on my devblog yesterday about a method of evaluating frameworks. If I followed my method when I started out with Gideros I would most likely be using Corona right now, where the product cycle from concept to release is actually quite smooth.

But Gideros is just so damn good! It's a rough diamond for sure and I want to be around to see it polished and shining brightly.

So apart from having large teams and deep pockets the main competitors to Gideros have good documentation, good tutorials, and smooth workflow. And those are the things that will engage and retain users (in my opinion).

I know Gideros will get there and I hope the maintainers (whom I would like to become one of one day) will prioritize some things and get the basic workflow buttery smooth soon :)
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    @antix I totally agree with your comments. We abandoned a framework because of those very facts.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    @antix We need contributors for things like documentation, tutorials, etc...

We are always open to new people wanting to help behind the scenes.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    @SinisterSoft, I want to contribute more, especially with tutorials. I need to get some other stuff cleared from my calendar first, namely the game that I can't publish without play services.