Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
AdMob Plugin not compatible (SDK v7 sunset) — Gideros Forum

AdMob Plugin not compatible (SDK v7 sunset)

Hi everyone,

The AdMob plugin is not compatible with GoogleMobileAdds SDK.
I think it was working with v7 which is sunset for 1 week now.
Several questions:

1. Are there plans to update the plugin for iOS and Android to be compatible with the latest version v10?

2. If not is there another ads framework that is still supported by Gideros?

3. If not how much donation is needed to update the ads plugins?

4. Is there a workaround?

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Ads are becoming so difficult to deal with (RGPD, consent, under age, etc) that I completely gave up myself, I now make paid apps with trial period (through IAP). Anyway I think there are still a few of us using AdMob so I can try to upgrade it blindly, I mean making it compile again with a newer version but not trying it since I don't have any project configured for that purpose. But isn't it as easy as updating the admob library version in the project settings ?
  • I tried for iOS and gave up.
    It showed tons of errors. Tried to fix some and even more errors came.
    They deprecated and removed bunch of APIs and introduced new ones that work differently, renamed some APIs and constants, return types, etc. Big mess. If you could make it compile with the latest (v10) we should be good for several year.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    @kussakov, I updated ios admob plugin to work with v8 -> v10 versions of admob, see commit here: https://github.com/gideros/gideros/commit/b865b86eda9d832a8a4af607b4a6653b7f9fab85
    and here: https://github.com/gideros/gideros/commit/51dff6e489c870b88cd77a5ae30843d3d5bc1be6

I tested interstitial and rewarded ads, but not banners. If you want to try for yourself you can just replace the AdsAdmob.h and .m in your ios porject with the modified ones on github. You'll also have to add SKAdNetwork definitions from here https://developers.google.com/admob/ios/ios14?hl=en in your info.plist file.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks a lot @hgy29! I will try it this weekend and report back!!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hi @hgy29,

Thanks again for fixing the plugin! 🙏
    It compiles and works for me!
    Tested with rewarded and interstitial.

Two notes:

1. The interstitial do not receive AD_DISMISSED event. Indeed this event is not needed in all cases, but it is nice to have. I added it for myself by adding this line of code in AdsAdmob.m (after line 145):
    [AdsClass adDismissed:[self class] forType:type];
    2. The rewarded is implemented as "Rewarded interstitial (Beta)" GADRewardedInterstitialAd, not GADRewardedAd. That is fine with me, but if you have time - you can split them (like copy/paste with the GADRewardedAd and "rewarded interstitial" and "rewarded" strings)

Cheers!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hi @kussakov, thanks for your testing. I indeed thought rewarded and rewarded interstitials were equivalent, I didn't read the doc carefully! I now implemented both. I am surprised about AD_DISMISSED not working though, because it should be fired from the delegate near the end of the file. If it isn't then maybe something else doesn't work.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Indeed there was an error in the delegate code, fixed now.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook