Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Player - Momentary drop on performance — Gideros Forum

Gideros Player - Momentary drop on performance

DrixDrix Member
edited November 2012 in General questions
Dear friends,

When I compile and start an app on Gideros Player, sometimes I notice a brief slow down on performance (for just a few seconds the fps drops significantly). After that, the app runs normally.

Why does this happen?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Yes I am seeing this all the time and I thought I'm the only one who has this problem. I have tried garbage collection etc but I think its not becos of gc. I hope someone from gideros can take a look at this issue.
  • ...any news on this subject?
  • Probably just some initial housekeeping, texture caching stuff, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it returns to normal after a brief period and stays there.
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    @Chang, first I suspected from GC but you've said that it's not because of it. If it's not because of GC, I think @techdojo is right (like texture loading or changing the text of TTFont).

@Drix/@Chang, if you can give me more information, I can look at it.
  • Hi @atilim,

You can use the Gideros' Collision Detection example to test this issue.

To make it more noticeable, change the original timeStep to 1/30 and start the Player successive times, waiting a few seconds between executions.

After a time, you will notice (I hope) some sporadic decelerations on the animation.

Thanks!
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    hmm.. Gideros' Collision Detection prints lots of logs to the console. Can you remove the 4 print functions (at line 61, 71, 81 and 91) and then try again?
  • Yes, I see the slow down even without using the print functions.

It may seem weird, but I just saw the issue is much more noticeable on the GeForce GTX 670M than on the integrated Intel HD Graphics of my notebook. :-?

Anyway, the Gideros Player seems to work fine on my iPhone4. I could not reproduce the problem on the device.
  • ChangChang Member
    edited November 2012
    @Drix Did you try the Jumping Ball example project? Any noticeable drops in FPS? For me, on both my Gideros Player and device build I can see drops in FPS at times. Obviously there is no texture loading / unloading and no garbage created.

I'm seeing this on an iPhone 4. I've stopped a platformer / runner project because of this issue. But this doesn't happen on Nexus 7.
  • Hi @Chang, I tried the Jumping Ball example on an iPhone3G and 4, as you suggested. On both I could not notice the issue.

On a Motorola Defy the fps was not very consistent. Most of time it remained around 40, but jumping to higher values frequently, what made the motion not be smooth (because on this example the ball motion is frame-dependent, not time-dependent).

How long does the fps drop on your iPhone4? Are you noticing this issue just after starting or in the middle of the running? I will try run a more complex sample.
  • @Drix, basically when the FPS drop, the motion should slow down since it is frame dependent right?

The issue here is, while in the middle of running the app, at times the motion will have some sort of 'jumping' effect. It seems like the enterFrame event is being called but the drawing of graphics is skipped for a few frame.
  • ChangChang Member
    edited November 2012
    @atilim From what I observed and compared to event.deltaTime (which seems to be stable and normal when the 'jumping' effect occurred), it seems that at certain time the graphics are not being updated for 1 or 2 frames, but the enterFrame event are executed. Is this possible? :-/

EDIT: It seems like the frame is 'Skipping' or Jitter or Stutter.
  • @atilim From what I observed and compared to event.deltaTime (which seems to be stable and normal when the 'jumping' effect occurred), it seems that at certain time the graphics are not being updated for 1 or 2 frames, but the enterFrame event are executed. Is this possible? :-/

EDIT: It seems like the frame is 'Skipping' or Jitter or Stutter.
    @Chang, try this time dependent example:

MotionTest.zip

I notice the effect you mentioned by running this example on my old iPhone3G, mainly when the text is rendered. On my iPhone4, it runs smoothly.