Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
BM Font / setting the width of a block of text. — Gideros Forum

BM Font / setting the width of a block of text.

Tom2012Tom2012 Guru
edited December 2012 in General questions
Hello,

How do you specify the width of a block of text in Gideros, so that the text doesn't run over one long line?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• I believe that something similar to TextWrap needs to be created. I've never used BMFonts, always was satisfied with TTFonts, but probably it would be possible to port TextWrap by replacing TextField with BMTextField, haven't tried though
  • NascodeNascode Guru
    edited December 2012 Accepted Answer
    Tada~
    https://github.com/nascode/BMFont

I modify original bmfont to support text wrapping, aligment, internationalization.

have fun with our games~
    http://www.nightspade.com
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • We really need to a way to consolidate all those great additions that are scattered around the forums.
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited December 2012
    @ar2rsawseen
    I didn't explain myself well : we have the place where all good things are checked/validated/included which is Gideros community libs.

But we could have a place to put all those submissions to be checked by a small group of people who will check / validate / include it in the Gideros community libs.

This time it worked because you were present in the forums, but the collection process should be more efficient and those (or the one) who validate the submissions should have one unique place to check the submissions. Not scattered in several discussions.

Maybe the collection process should be made outside of the forums (or in a dedicated discussion) but the fact that something was added should appear here in public for people to check.
    Somebody will say "we have a wiki!" but most of the time wikis are abandoned place after some time.

And you will note that today more than ever I am not able to speak a correct english. Need some sleep :)
  • @Mells you are really lucky I'm wearing my reorganizing pants and I'm in some revising mood. :)
    So we can try something new.

How about I'll create some specific topic threads, as Submit your Libraries here, and Submit your apps here and stuff like that.
    And when anyone has a new library/app etc, he or she will need to dig up that post and post it there.

Now that does not mean that there should be no separate post presenting library/app etc, this would be just for listing. I would modify the first post of the thread based on submitted comments for the that post etc.

Now so it would be easier to find these post, I can reference them in one topic, I think @gorkem already created read first topic where everything like that could be referenced. Additionally I can link also other now announced articles there and remove them from announcements, so only new announcements will remind there, that will also clear above the fold view and help to spot new posts easier.

So let's try doing something like this and see if it'll hold up or not ;)
  • @ar2rsawseen
    First of all I want you to know why I made that suggestion : I believe that what you have done with those community libs, GiderosCodingEasy etc is an amazing thing for the community. It takes time, I truly appreciate that, and the suggestions I have made have only one goal : to make it easy for you (or other contributors) to skip unnecessary tasks (view threads / browse libs / add to github).

Announcement
    Yes in its current state there is a room for improvement.
    I like what they did at the Codea forums.
    Only a few announcements.
    Categories are more distinctly visible (easier to check a category "Game announcements" even if the discussion is not featured at the top).
    Also that makes me wonder : do we need to know who is the author of a discussion? (if we can remove some clutter..)

Submit your app/library
    I believe those discussions would be great.
    I can imagine some people would bookmark the discussion and at a glance see what's been submitted during the last few days/weeks.
    This would also make it easier for the person who is updating Built With Gideros (who is? is that you @ar2rsawseen?) to grab icons/screenshots/itunes links from the discussion.

Those can be featured discussions don't you think?
    (But it should be "app + screenshots" or "library" only, no discussions -> Those happen in a dedicated discussion for each app).

How to submit
    For submitting libs, I believe this is important that the person who does it adds a description of the lib in the dedicated discussion, basic docs (included with the lib), and additional notes -> if some parts of the lib need to be checked or improved, etc...
    The description should answer the question : what is the lib for, or what problem/limitation does it solve.

The validation process
    If the lib is not ready yet to be added to the community libs, it could be moved to another category "Waiting for improvement" with a description of the parts that need to be checked. That way, those who are skilled & kind enough to spend some time on it will get the work done directly without having to search what their help is needed on.

I'm just throwing ideas.
  • Tada~
    https://github.com/nascode/BMFont

I modify original bmfont to support text wrapping, aligment, internationalization.
    That is absolutely fantastic! Thank you.

• One suggestion - line spacing would be great (but probably impossible!)