Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Any Checklists for completing an app? — Gideros Forum

Any Checklists for completing an app?

loucsamloucsam Member
edited April 2013 in General questions
My first game is coming along now, but for the most part I'm writing for one resolution, 1 device, while I'm learning, and noticing threads about targeting positioning for multiple resolutions, deploying to ios versus android, different resolutions of images/textures to be careful with, beta testing, licences, plugins, social media etc

So I was wondering if there might be some page/s around that have a list of all the sorts of things you need to consider when you want to start making the app available( or even in the planning stages). I'm not at that stage to release (hopefully soon), but it's in my mind, and reading various threads as they appear. Something like this list would be good for newbies like me, and probably even some more experienced devs as well.

Cheers,
Max

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• john26john26 Maintainer
    Hi @loucsam, glad you got over the initial teething problems.

I'm probably the last person to give advice since my game flopped, but I would venture a couple of points. First, I would say don't bother with different resolutions, just set scaling to "stretch" mode and stick to that. A lot of purists will say that's wrong but most people watch their widescreen TVs with 4:3 content and don't mind that it gets stretched to fill the screen. You can tie yourself in knots worrying about different resolutions and the like and its probably not worth it, at least for a first game. The first game you write is not going to be great, whatever you do, great game writing takes experience, so keep it simple and get it published. Don't get stuck obsessively refactoring your code or agonizing about graphics too much.

This is especially the case of resolutions. The purist will rewrite his game for each resolution and aspect ratio he targets but there is no way a single developer can write multiple versions like this. Just stick to a scaling mode you are comfortable with and let Gideros do the heavy lifting here. Sure, stretching to fit the screen won't look beautiful and some squares will come out as rectangles, but the game will be playable and what do they expect for 99c? Games do not succeed or fail on considerations like this. Of course once you have a monster hit and its time to write the sequel then you can worry about these details (you'll have a staff of programmers to help) but not for the first game as a one man company.

A wise man told me "don't spend more than 2 weeks on a game". The amount of money you are likely to make means it is not worth while to put in more effort.

All this is just my opinion! I'd be interested to see what other people think. Like I say, take my advice with a pinch of salt as I have not been successful.
  • Thanks for the reply @john26.

With respect to screen resolutions, I want the game to at least work across all (or many) devices, and don't have actual devices to test on. I have a 10" android tablet and an HTC desire phone, that's it.

Not knowing any better I've coded for a 600x800 screen, without understanding the consequences of doing so. I just wanted to get into it, and not bother too much about resolutions, for a first game, as you also mentioned.

But, by luck, rather than foresight or good management, when this screen is displayed on my htc desire it cuts off the left and right part of the screen, exactly where the gaming content is. So the chess board fits exactly on the left and right borders.

I would rather understand more about what resolution I should start with, so that when scaled it looks okay across all or many devices. This is the sort of knowledge I was looking for in a newbies guide to finishing an app.

Where will I find info on this scaling you refer to @john26?

Cheers,
    Max
    @loucsam: right click on your project root and select project properites. Select "stretch" from the list of scale modes. Your app will now fit neatly onto any screen whatever its aspect ratio and resolution. You can also try the other scale modes listed but "stretch" is the sure-fire one.
    As for which base resolution, just do a web search to see which resolutions are most popular in Android. On iOS its obviously 1024x768 (and double) for iPad and 960x640 (and 1136x640) for iPhone. The 800x600 you've chosen is quite sensible...

Google compiles statistics of device popularity by resolution. It's in this website somewhere...

http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/publishing_overview.html
  • Thanks @petec and @john26.
    I'm clearly not using stretching then yet, so that's great to know. :D Cheers.