Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Creating a simple cutscene — Gideros Forum

Creating a simple cutscene

xGuiltxGuilt Member
edited June 2013 in General questions
So, the other day i was adding up some contents to our project and i've thought that having a cutscene where the main character of the game is either talking or introducing something in the game.

My first approach to this was to create different images of the message box with text and use ifs to check what image to display and uses the removeChild and addChild to change the images and tapping the screen would advance the scene further. But i figured having many images just for the cutscene would be wasteful in terms of memory so i'm kinda lost now. Can anyone suggest a good approach for this?

http://goo.gl/M07xa <- what i'm trying to achieve somehow.

Comments

• JesderJesder Member
    edited July 2013 Accepted Answer
    Hi,

@xGuilt I saw your post last night and decided to put together a demo using a cut down version of our cutscene framework we are using for our game Neon Force. Our game uses cutscenes based events occurring at specific times within the cutscene, but I've modified it to work as a series of dialog "events" that occur sequentially to form a cutscene.

For example:

I haven't bothered adding characters, but the dialog box at the bottom processes the scripted cutscene and updates the text. The text updates character by character and can be skipped by tapping the screen. When the dialog block is complete, the user is prompted to tap to advance to the next dialog block, which then renders character by character to the screen - which sounds like what you are after.

The script files are no more complicated that a series of dialog tables the cutscene framework processes its way through. It's very straight forward to modify and customise.

There are a number of things you can do to improve this demo, but i've kept it simple to show the basics of it.

I've done a full write up on how to use the demo at our site (including a link to the source) - which you can find here: Link

Hope that helps.

+1 -1 (+6 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Wow - that's an impressive response the request, thanks for sharing. :)
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • talistalis Guru
    edited July 2013
    Really great work @Jesder . Appreciated =D> =D> =D> =D>
    I was always saying i like this community but i am changing that phrase of mine to "I love this community" :D
    Especially the text in cutscene rocks:D
  • Yeah it's like Batman sending Robin a text saying they're coming to the rescue (or is it more like Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy - obscure Spongebob reference!) :)

WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • krisiskrisis Member
    @Jesder - nice work! I grabbed the source and tried to run the demo but it doesn't seem to work. On device it just does nothing. On local player it causes it to hang and I have to force quite. I'm guessing it's something in one of the supporting files as a print statement at the top of main.lua doesn't even show.
    [ Twitter: pushpoke | Facebook: facebook.com/pushpoke | Web: pushpoke.com | Letter Stack iOS: letterstack.com ]
  • JesderJesder Member
    edited July 2013
    @krisis Interesting - we've run it on two different machines (PCs running windows 7 using the local player) and the latest build of Gideros (2013.06.1) and it has run without any problems.
  • @krisis in me also it is running normal. (Windows 8) I didn't do any special preparations only uploaded and run in the gideros player. (using standart Gideros studio)
    V 2012-09-10
  • JesderJesder Member
    @talis Thanks for posting the outcome of your test. I had wondered if it was a Windows 8 issue, but glad to see it isn't.

@krisis Let me know what setup you're running and we'll trying work out what's going on.
  • krisiskrisis Member
    @jesder - I am running on an old version of Gideros Player (2012.09.2) so that may be the issue. I plan on updating soon so I'll give it another shot after that.
    [ Twitter: pushpoke | Facebook: facebook.com/pushpoke | Web: pushpoke.com | Letter Stack iOS: letterstack.com ]
  • JesderJesder Member
    @krisis No worries, keep me updated. Out of interest, are you running on Windows, Mac or Linux?
  • krisiskrisis Member
    @jesder - just upgraded to latest and it worked, so must've been some API that wasn't compatible with the older version I was running. I'm on Mac.
  • xGuiltxGuilt Member
    edited July 2013
    Sorry, i've read it lately, it looks really really nice. It's like i asked for a penny and got a dollar. Everything about this demo is awesome. :D
    Thank you @Jesder

i've faced one problem though, i'm getting a "Bad argument" error on line 28 of cutscene_scene.lua after i included all needed files to my project. It says (table expected, got nil). Based on my understanding, it's supposed to read the userData in the changescene right? :D
  • JesderJesder Member
    @xGuilt Glad to help. You are correct about the error you are seeing - userData is optional so you can remove that block if you pass your data/systems around between scenes differently.
  • xGuiltxGuilt Member
    edited July 2013
    Ahh, how come it doesn't read the data i'm passing even though i copied how it looked on your demo?

EDIT: i've checked in on it again and found that the "param" being passed is nil. does that mean that the data from main is not being passed on?

EDIT2: Nevermind, i just found out that the sceneManager i was using was different from the sceneManager that you were using :D

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook