Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Android Studio or Eclipse? — Gideros Forum

Android Studio or Eclipse?

vyh77vyh77 Member
edited January 2015 in General questions
Is it possible to work a Gideros' Android project with Android Studio? if yes, how? Or should we use Eclipse instead?

Comments

• @vyh77 I myself quite hate Android Studio, but all in all, it should not be a problem to use it. I think it even automatically converts eclipse projects to Android Studio ones.

And @timecc also managed to get plugin building work on it:

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/5305/plugin-with-android-studio/p1
  • I prefere eclipse, it's not very good - but I've figured out a lot of the niggles.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited January 2015
    Gideros exports lua code to Android application, so you should use whatever IDE: Eclipse, Android Studio, NetBeans, Xamarin,... Even you can use ant + build.xml to generate apk file using android update project -p command.
  • thanks for the answers!

I'm trying Android Studio first, because it's supposed to be the official tool. What I did was importing the Gideros Android project, changed compileSdkVersion and targetSdkVersion from 19 to 21, and run, but it failed with a lot of errors, see attached.

Anyone else using Android Studio? how do I get rid of those errors?
    android studio.png
    1194 x 567 - 120K
  • Honestly I never had succeeded in building a project with Android Studio, not even with none Gideros one.
    Even when someone gave me a project developed with Android Studio, I still could not make it build in Android Studio, but converted it in eclipse and it worked.

It seems to me that dependencies are too specific there, if you don't have right Build tools, platform tools, etc, and all paths defined, and specific gradle versions, and specific gradle build, etc, nothing will work.

And it actually only recently released from the beta, I was always trying it in beta, so maybe that was the problem, did not try the normal version yet.
  • @vyh77 in your specific error, it seems it does not see a gideros.jar file, probably you need to somehow specifically specify where it is
  • vyh77vyh77 Member
    edited January 2015
    gideros.jar is not imported by Android Studio, and I don't know how to integrate it, so that's it, I couldn't make it work!

Then I tried with Eclipse (Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
    Version: Luna Service Release 1 (4.4.1)
    Build id: 20140925-1800), with Android plugin and Android SDK, all installed today, on my macbook with OSX Yosemite 10.10.1. Before running I had to change in the manifest:

from
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="19" />
    to
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="21" />
    then I tried running, and unfortunately it also gave me errors (attached)
    eclipse.png
    893 x 188 - 41K
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited January 2015
    Move gideros.jar file into lib folder.
  • thanks it works now!!