Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Splash Screen - still valid? — Gideros Forum

Gideros Splash Screen - still valid?

UglyOwlUglyOwl Member
edited December 2015 in General questions
Hello guys, I found quite old discussions about Gideros splash screen and wondering if there are any news, do we still need to have it shown?

Comments

• jdbcjdbc Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hello guys, I found quite old discussions about Gideros splash screen and wondering if there are any news, do we still need to have it shown?
    Gideros is open source and without Gideros splash screen. I use my own splash screen.
  • That is cool to know.

So there's no restrictions as to what kind of games one makes using Gideros to keep it free of charge? I'm planning on making a free game, but wondering for the future
  • piepie Member
    Accepted Answer
    no restrictions :)

• Thank you guys!
  • There have been 'behind the scenes' discussions about re-introduce an optional user-definable splash screen, preset to a Gideros screen.

This is so that it can be displayed whilst the rest of the libs, etc are loading (before Lua takes over) - until the first draw event.

If we did then...

It would be great if people who did replace the preset screen somehow mention Gideros - but it would not be compulsory. It would be nice to spread the word to others interested in game dev.

Like I said, this is just a behind the scenes discussion and might not happen.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • This kinda already happens btw on the HTML5 and I think the Windows Phone versions.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Or mentioning it in About section. Usually only developers bother the question, What was used to create such a cool stuff? Ordinary users will be only annoyed
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, Windows Phone and Windows Store apps must, according to Microsoft have a splash screen to display while loading. We supply a default Gideros logo, but you can replace this: it is just a PNG file.

@UglyOwl, Just to be clear, Gideros is now completely free and open source. You never have to pay anything and there are no restrictions. We do occasionally have Kickstarter campaigns and the like but it is never compulsory.
  • I think it would be good to have an optional splash screen. We usually build them into our games. For Apple we provide images for each device.