Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Discussion about funding and promoting Gideros - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Discussion about funding and promoting Gideros

2»

Comments

• antixantix Member
    edited June 2016
    @hgy29, that's a pretty cool idea. Like most things in life everything comes back to time available to do things like this. I don't know how John manages to do his magic. I reckon there would be way too much effort required to create an actual magazine, not to mention financial investment.

Maybe if the blog was more prominent and more active? It could be made to be more "magazine-ish" I suppose. I know that would be a stretch for John because his plate is already overflowing. What if the blog had more contributors? I've recently started my own devblog (https://antixsoftwareblog.wordpress.com) to ramble on about my coding experiments. I'm finding it terribly fun, so I'd be willing to contribute to the Gideros blog, especially if there were topics people wanted to read articles about.

When I read my reddit subs there are always cool things like "Feedback Friday", "Sharing Saturday", and "Monthly Challenge" which people seem to really get into. I don't think something like those things would be too hard to start and keep going. It's great to read about what others are actually doing, how they are doing it, and have programming challenges. These kind of things really help build and engage the community.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    @john26.. it appears that your extracts have been extracted :D

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    I changed them to dropbox links. Can you not download?

I'd be delighted if you could write blog posts. I'll send you the passwords!

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @antix, I really like the idea of a "Monthly Challenge"! All in all Gideros needs more visibility (I even wasn't aware of the blog!), we need to have other websites talking about us.
    BTW I was not necessarily talking about a printed magazine, a PDF one would be good enough probably, but yeah putting all contributions into a single doc is already a few hours to spend, which we may not have in the end.

• antixantix Member
    edited June 2016
    @hgy29 got it. I think things like coding challenges would be cool too. From reddit I see people suggest challenges and then they vote on which challenge will take place for the month. Then people code their submissions and they get judged at the end of the month. It's all pretty straightforward and would be a load of fun.

@john26 yep the dropbox links work, thanks. So you used a program to scrape the api docs to create your base manual?
  • NinjadoodleNinjadoodle Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi @hgy29 - I LOVE that idea! I think this would be one of the best ways of inspiring and tying the community together, and possibly bringing funding to Gideros. If it was an online magazine, there would be no major costs and it cold be distributed via pdf. The only things is gathering enough 'regular' contributors.

Rich of Phaser, got inspired by the same magazines and write in listings from the 80's and made this ...

http://phaser.io/interphase#guides

I've said this before - but I honestly think Gideros could use something like Corona Geek ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/CoronaGeek

• john26john26 Maintainer
    @antix, yes, Arturs' wife wrote a program to convert the API docs database into a LaTeX file! But I still needed to make a lot of changes by hand as LaTeX is very fussy and there were things like lines going off the page etc. So to create the 2nd edition, I would just hand edit what I have now.

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited June 2016
    A magazine could be made and distributed via Amazon (and pdf) - I think they publish comic sized stuff too - that might be a good format?

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Good idea Anthony, plus having a ref from amazon store to gideros would help gaining popularity on the net
  • antixantix Member
    @NinjaDoodle, I really like the idea of that phaser thing. I'm totally up to contribute to something like that. I'd probably need some help with ideas about what kind of things to put into it. A pool game sounds pretty easy though heheh.

I quite like the corona geek type idea. There would need to be somebody running that, organizing who to have on, what subjects to cover etc. I wonder which would be easier, probably the phaser kind of thing.

@john26, I'm jelly, I wish my partner was into coding. I suppose once you had everything formatted correctly for the manual, updating wouldn't be too hard. When I look at your contents I see it's just such a huge thing, so many pages.