Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Colour cycling — Gideros Forum

Colour cycling

totebototebo Member
edited June 2016 in General questions
Could colour cycling be done in Gideros? Using the glorious Defender of the Crown on the Amiga as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ArHF1qi_0&t=6m45s

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• antixantix Member
    edited June 2016
    +1 for the Amiga reference. I so loved the mildly boring yet satisfying catapult missions :D

On the Amiga generally you would use a color table and then feed those to the copper co-processor to create all manner of interesting color cycling.

I theory you could do something similar in Gideros by having a table of color values and then use that tables values to set colorTransforms on a scrolling sprite that appeared behind the scenes.

It could maybe also be done with a shader, but I have yet to actually try those out.

And lastly maybe it could be done using meshes. Can't you manipulate their vertex colors on the fly? Again I haven't ever played with meshes so couldn't say for sure.

If you really wanted that exact effect like in DoftC then you could do it easily with a repeating texture scrolling behind some sprites.
  • antixantix Member
    Here is a quick hack-up of how it could be done with some layering and a repeating texture. It could be expanded a lot further, this is just what I came up with in 20 minutes before bed :)
    zip
    zip
    DefenderoftheGideros.zip
    DefenderoftheGideros.png
    512 x 512 - 641K

• talistalis Guru
    edited June 2016
    some nice effect there @antix liked it so much. I was thinking to make a flag moving in the wind and just thinking to use movieclip with diff images. But this effect is kinda giving the same feeling. I will try this on the flag.

• @talis actually you can try wave shader for flag. You can check it from the gideros shader example -1. Just apply that shader to flag.

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    It would need a new sprite type that could understand 'palettes'. A palette sprite type (eg 8, 16 or 32 colour sprites that use a lookup table for the colours would be very handy)

Multiple palettes would be nice too.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • totebototebo Member
    Some great ideas there. Thanks guys.
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • antixantix Member
    edited June 2016
    I like that idea @SinisterSoft :)

Hey it couldn't be Amiga without some kind of plasma effect right? Here's another basic example which has 3 layers (R, G, and B) which scroll and rotate at random speeds :)
    PlasmaoftheGideros.png
    512 x 512 - 670K
    zip
    zip
    PlasmaoftheGideros.zip
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook