Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Studio user experience: Tell us your thoughts — Gideros Forum

Gideros Studio user experience: Tell us your thoughts

gorkemgorkem Maintainer
edited September 2011 in User experience
One of our main aims with Gideros Studio IDE is to make this wonderful piece of mobile development environment easy to use and administer. Through this vision, we created a simple, easy-to-understand interface you can use while programming with our SDK. This forum is dedicated to user experience topics and issues of Gideros Studio and Gideros API, and we'd love to hear feedbacks and bug reports like:

- Unexpected and inconsistent UI behaviour
- Ideas for better looking, better acting interface
- Phrases that may lead to misunderstanding (within IDE and SDK)
- User elements non-conforming to human-computer guidelines (e.g Windows or Mac OS X)

Thanks for your support!

Comments

• what would be really nice is to have a scene management built into the IDE that would be pretty slick.
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    edited September 2011

what would be really nice is to have a scene management built into the IDE that would be pretty slick.
    We will add scene management and tweening to Gideros but most probably not in near future. However if many users asks for this feature, that could easily be a next feature.

What do you think?
  • mumujamumuja Member
    edited September 2011
    one thing I want to note, is that remove file doesn't actually remove the file from disk ( I thought it did) perhaps have an option to remove it also from the disk.

I am already used to a screen management that is rather manual, this method has served a lot of people really well for scene management:
    http://rauberlabs.blogspot.com/2011/07/director-class-13.html

Can something like that be implemented using gideros? This is not part of the IDE though, it is more part of the API
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    Putting an option to remove the file is good idea. We will implement it in the near future.

It's possible to implement a similar system to Director Class using Gideros. Maybe this class will be a part of example codes.
  • I had a few quick observations that I wanted to share, I use a Mac so what I have tested is true/applicable for a Mac.

1. Editing, the editor though great as it does completion, etc is quite limiting when it comes to editing. As is, being used to Windows, I felt quite handicapped with a Mac, unable to use Page Up and Page Down, etc. with the GiderOS studio editor, that is further accentuated by being unable to even use the Alt + Arrow Keys (⌥ + Up/Down/Left/Right)

2. The Console at the bottom of the window can be selected but not cleared, this is distracting as I am used to clearing this prior to each run.

3. Preview *might* not be such an important feature as files are, so if the preview pane can be removed, that would be fine too, however if the functionality to display certain type of files or grouping the files by type in an expandable hierarchical list would make it easier to see when the number of files are quite large.

I guess as GiderOS is new, there will be a few issues, that does not put a dampener on the functionality offered, so looking forward to the future releases with these fixes and more.

cheers,

?:)
    About editor: We are using Windows for our primary platform, and Page Up/Down + Alt-Arrow keys are definitely working under Windows but not under Mac :) This is surely a bug and will be fixed.

About console: This was a readonly console and will be read-write in the next release, so you can either do a Ctrl-A and press del, or Right Click -> Clear

Preview: Not sure here, especially if you have lots of image files and want to see if an image is really the one you need, you use this pane. It'll be beneficial when your application has lots of images.
  • I tried to install gideros_2011.9.beta on my Mac I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I try to run the Gideros Studio.app, I get an error message that says,

"You can't open the application Gideros Studio.app because it is not supported on the type of Mac."
    I tried to install gideros_2011.9.beta on my Mac I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I try to run the Gideros Studio.app, I get an error message that says,

"You can't open the application Gideros Studio.app because it is not supported on the type of Mac."
    Hi Jonathan,

It should be pointed out that Gideros Studio for Mac only runs on Mac OS X 64 bit versions. Currently we do not support 32 bit Macs, and yours look like a that kind.

Sorry for that, but that's a limitation with the Qt version we use at the moment. I'll be updating the docs on web page to reflect this issue.
  • Ok, thanks for the update. Too bad, your software and SDK, look very promising. I'll keep your site bookmarked, maybe one day you will support it, or one day I'll upgrade. In the mean time good luck with this project, and God Bless!
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    edited October 2011
    @OZ Apps

We've remapped the keys related to navigation on Mac OS X version of Gideros Studio. Here are the new keybindings:

command + left: start of line
    command + right: end of line
    command + up: beginning of document
    command + down: end of document
    command + backspace: delete line to the left

option + left: move to next word on the left (case insensitive)
    option + right: move to next word on the right (case insensitive)
    option + backspace: delete word to left

control + left: move to next word on the left (case sensitive)
    control + right: move to next word on the right (case sensitive)
    control + up: page up
    control + down: page down
    control + backspace: delete word to left (same with option + backspace)

These keybindings are very similar to TextMate, TextEdit, Xcode etc. and they will be available with the next version of Gideros Studio.
  • All features I tested with the new 2011.9.2 beta is working great, including
    scaling bug (touch now works in landscape @2x mode), Font and Packed
    images work in @2x scale mode, Export assets only works great.

“Export assets only”
    I haven't tested movieClip, Tweening, and Android, as soon as I get multi-touch
    working I'll fully test Android.

Thanks guys for all the fixes and new features with this new beta.
  • to run my app in the player, I need to open player from the IDE, and then click on the "play" button (also from the IDE), which takes the focus away from the player and brings IDE to the front.

Also, when I just installed the SDK, I at first could not understand at all why I cannot play my app because the "play" button was disabled because the player was not started.

Please consider having only the "play" button that starts the player if needed.
    That's another usability consideration we have been talking about for some time. The confusion arises with the fact that, you may be running the player on a physical device or on the localhost.

There'll be a fix for that soon as it's not easily distinguishable the first time, and may stop people using the IDE in case they cannot figure out how to start the player.
  • PoseMotionPoseMotion Member
    edited October 2011
    Just started using the app and love the setup so far. Would like to see an option to export to the Mac itself. Maybe even compile with LuaC to protect the Lua source files. http://www.lua.org/manual/4.0/luac.html
    Just started using the app and love the setup so far. Would like to see an option to export to the Mac itself. Maybe even compile with LuaC to protect the Lua source files. http://www.lua.org/manual/4.0/luac.html
    Thanks a lot for your kind words. Answers:

1. The export option for Mac and Windows is quite a straightforward process, but will be "considered" for the next release at least for one platform. Please let us know if you have some specific requests here (you can provide "must have" / "nice to have" like statements).

2. Lua compiler is currently on our SVN, but had to focus on more important things for 2011.9, so commented this out. This will be ready for the next release also, due 2-3 months.

Thanks for the tips.