Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros is faster than we thought. :D — Gideros Forum

Gideros is faster than we thought. :D

mykyl66mykyl66 Member
edited January 2012 in User experience
We found that a game idea we had, had to be dramatically changed because it would not run fast enough in the other lua based language. So much so that we ended up abandoning it as we seemed to be adding complexity just to make up for the lack of items we could have on screen. We ended up losing what was fun about the early concept.

Today we were discussing that game and our tests in gideros showed no slowdown whatsoever on device.

Fantastic news.

Mike
What would you do for your other half?

http://www.sharksoupstudios.com
+1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• That's great. Whcih device was that and what functionality are you using?
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Glad to hear that :) Thanks for your compliments!

Can't wait to see an early preview.
  • Did you use a lot of GTween movement? I ask because I have serious performance issues on my IPod touch 2nd gen and I am using Gtweens a lot. I might switch to physics or a combination of MovieClip/Timer because I need to know when the transition is done. To bad MovieClips don't support callback events when an animation/transition is done.
  • I was testing on ipod generation 2 and 3 and iphone 3 as well as ipad 1 and 2. Currently using physics for this game movement.

Not played with the gtweens yet although it sounds limited by what you are describing. Might need to take some time out to test.

Mike
    What would you do for your other half?

http://www.sharksoupstudios.com
  • Thanks for the info Mike,

naturally all LUA code takes time to process in a frame so the GTween solution, while it is very powerfull, is also taking the framerate down once you have a lot of objects using it. I was using GTween for everything. Because after the tween I remove the object and have this done in the onComplete handler function. I love automation and this was my first choice. I will try the physic/timer approach as this will give me high performance and I can automate the removal of these objects. It will be some work to remodel everything but I weas tempted to go this root anyway, to add a new twist to the game play.

Cheers
    Michael