Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Feature Request - New Project — Gideros Forum

Feature Request - New Project

nathanh0nathanh0 Member
edited October 2011 in User experience
Gideros,

How bout making the app a bit more intuitive before the user gets started.

For example, when I first started development in apps, I had to learn the different media sizes for platforms. Perhaps you could have some buttons setup when they click "New Project" which asks them what kind of project they're building, and perhaps it could give us a very useful legend of how we should structure our elements and the document itself. Perhaps even automatically set the Height / Width of the application for us.

I would setup:

iPhone
iPad
Android Phone
Android Tablet

or... Custom

and the Custom one would just be anything... I guess what it comes down to is the more advice can you give to a beginner when they start their project (from within Gideros Studio) may improve their likelihood to finish an app successfully.

2 cents, but platinum plating that's for sure :)

Nathan

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Hi Nathan,

That would be a nice feature. Have something like "New Project Wizard", where
    It walks you through what type of device(s), screen sizes, single or multi-touch, etc...

These features and fixes are really important also, which some will be included
    in the next version:
    - Android export
    - Fix all scaling(images, fonts and packed images)
    - Fix landscape orientation when scaled
    - Game Center
    - In app purchasing
    - Ads
    - Native UI

I think Android performance and compatibility will be the hardest out of the bunch because
    of all of the different type of Android devices., but looks good so far, this is what AtIlim wrote:
    "One of our Android test device is a low-end device and we do performance tests on it.
    Usually the resulting performance is better than iPhone 3G." So that's great!

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    edited October 2011
    This version (2011.9) will (most probably) be ready next week and will introduce many enhancements and fixes upon Nathan's and Miller's requests. Most of what you've listed above (e.g IAP, ads, native UI) are to be done for the next release in which our biggest priority will be plugin support.

A project wizard would be a nice feature, btw. It might contain following features/steps:

1. Choose primary platform (iOS/Android)
    2. Choose device type (eg iOS -> iPad or Android -> Galaxy S 2 or specific resolution) - this will set hxw
    3. Choose installation directory
    4. Populate with sample game / touch /physics / geolocation etc code (yes/no)

I'm adding these to New Ideas for IDE Section in the wiki (http://www.giderosmobile.com/DevCenter/index.php/New_Ideas_for_IDE).

Thanks!
  • How about a project migration process as well.

My ideal goal in project creation is to make one size fit all. Perhaps something could be done in that area to make fitting the size to any device, maybe steps to take with your graphics, etc.

What do people do when they want to deliver their app to a larger device? I wonder how much modification programming takes place?
  • MillerszoneMillerszone Member
    edited October 2011
    Gideros takes care of all of the code modifications automatically for different device
    screen sizes. You just have to supply the images.
    Example: if your building for iPhone 3 and iPad/iPhone 4, then you supply 320x480 for
    the iPhone 3 and name the file like image.png and for the iPad/iPhone 4 the name
    would be image@2x.png that is 640x960. Code does not have to be changed at all.

Here is some more info:
    http://www.americantc.com/Images/Gideros Automatic Image Resolution.pdf
  • Awesome, I learned something new.

I really need to sit down and read the step-by-step beginner's guide to learning how Gideros Studio works from all angles. Something like this exists right?
  • You can learn a lot with the examples that Gideros supplies. Change the code
    and see what changed on the screen. Hopefully they will have game examples soon.

If your new to the language LUA, then you might want to search the web for
    "Beginning LUA" and read up on it. It's very easy when you get the hang off it.

Here is some Gideros info:
    http://www.giderosmobile.com/DevCenter/index.php/Main_Page

Good Luck.
  • Thank you very much for the info Millerszone :) See ya round!