Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gamename for android — Gideros Forum

Gamename for android

Hi everyone!!

My first (and last) game "Gamename" is now on the play store.

Here is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?hl=en&id=com.topperiagames.gamename

I will be thankful for any comment, suggestions, bug report (I've only tested it on my android device).

Comments

• Works on Galaxy s2, but I fear I didn't exactly "understood" the rules :)

Please correct me if I am wrong:
    enemies move each second, following each its own pattern: if they enter "live cells" (black squares) they die, if they reach the screen base I "die".

I can set cells alive by touching them, so the game goal is to prevent the next move of each enemy in order to kill them all before they reach the screen base, right?

I can play almost randomly, but I feel that there would be something more to do.
    Maybe if it was turn based instead of in real time in the first levels it would be more understandable?
    I have the feeling that I am missing something in the game mechanics, but I like that it's a "different game" :D

• i also tried it, interesting idea, but at this speed it's random clicking for me.

at least you should make it that one can paint with a finger,i.e. if i touch the screen and pull my finger then all (up to 3) squares that i go over will be touched. this makes much less annoying painting the squares, as anyway in most cases one paints an L-shape or I-shape or similar. and gives a chance to paint 3 squares in the given time.
    also you may try to slow it down a bit.
    last, i would try to add a 'strategy mode' where its turn-based so there is a new turn only when the player presses a 'next move' button (or when he painted 3 squares already). i think that would be the most interesting thing, to make it a logic game instead of a flappy bird style 'you die in 10 seconds anyway' game. you could even make levels where you think out how the map looks like (some squares could be backgrounds) and how the enemies will come and in how many steps one has to kill them all or something like that.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @pie thanks for comment. I've tryed to explain rules but probably they aren't clear if you doesn't know the Game of Life (I can't post links but search Conway's Game of Life on wikipedia)

@ very interesting ideas. The painting finger could be a good improvement. But with regard to strategy mode I have doubts: I tried to play it with 4s intervalls and the game became very easy (and boring) let alone without time problem...maybe a little slower.

Maybe I'll add a turn based of example level
  • in strategy mode maybe 2 paints/round will make it interesting, or more enemies. i think it's only up to you to test it enough to come up with a setting where it's not too easy, it should be possible.
    all in all, good luck with the game.
  • "2 paints"...it sounds good!!
  • @Topperiagames I personally would be much more intrigued by strategic mode:
    I think that you can draw really puzzling levels if you setup different areas where cells behave differently (no cell draw, no auto grow, random grow - like tumors - or teleport... ) and maybe add things/areas to reach with your cells to complete each level..
    With turns you could also setup bigger levels, because the player could zoom in out, drag it around while thinking etc..
    Just throwing in ideas, it looks promising to me :D
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    I tried it out and kind of enjoyed it. But it's really hard for a human to guess how the cells will evolve (or at least me!). So I was just putting more cells together and hoping. And if the monsters are coming in an empty part of the screen all you can do is put 3 cells together and hope.

Also there is not much difference between the types of monsters in terms of the strategy. Might be better to have some slower but tougher so the player has to prioritise.

But I think this is a promising idea. It could be a bit like Candy Crush which people kind of play reflexively almost in a trance. But you need to do a huge amount of work on the graphics, sound animations. Maybe you could use shaders like the "Bloom" example that comes with Gideros. That would jazz it up.