Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Export project to Android. — Gideros Forum

Export project to Android.

FavflyFavfly Member
edited April 2017 in Step by step tutorials
Please forgive the stupidity and lameness of my questions: I'm not a natural programmer.

I'm going to export my project to Android. I've clicked on 'export project' in Gideros Studio. I now have a list of ten values to fill out.

1. Package name - com.yourdomain.yourapp
Okay. What is this? Am I suppose to leave this name as is or alter it in some way?

2. Android Target Version
Pretty sure this is the android api number. I've set it at 19 (KitKat 4.4). Am I right?

5. Key store
Yeah. I have no clue what this is.

6. Key alias
What am I supposed to put in here?

All these say that they are optional... is that true? Can I just leave them blank? Is that a good idea?

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Comments

• HubertRonaldHubertRonald Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi @Favfly
    I recommend for you first see in detail this link:
    http://docs.giderosmobile.com/deployment.html
    (Select: Deploy to Devices)
    Below that link, you going to find "Create a signed APK directly using Gideros Studio"

It's a good point for kick start :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited April 2017
    I set 2 to 22. It will still work on 4.4 as there is a compatibility layer in Android. Gideros internally works fine with 9.

5 is the file that holds your signing key. The alias is the name of the key within that file (there can be more than one).

7 to 10 didn't used to be optional, but now they are due to some detective work. :)
    2017-04-29_09-14-55.png
    646 x 386 - 18K

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • FavflyFavfly Member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

I finally 'successfully' created an APK file. All seemed well... However, the app just won't work on my Kindle Fire nor will it work on Bluestacks. When I tap on the app's icon it appears to start the app, but immediately exits back to home screen.
    Tapping on the square symbol (at the bottom of the Kindle screen) brings up all the apps currently playing, of which mine is one. Tapping on my app's screen here again crashes it out to the Kindle's home screen.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I might try to export to Android using the old method.

@SinisterSoft I tried leaving fields 7 to 10 empty, but it wouldn't build the APK until I entered a valid tools version number.

Any idea why it's not working?
    Would the fact that I'm working on an iMac be making a difference here?

(Worth noting: my app works fine on the Kindle Fire when I'm using the GiderosAndroidPlayer.apk... so my code is legit)
  • HubertRonaldHubertRonald Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi @Favfly nice!

I know that in the case of android (Google Play) some plugins like iab (in app purchase) or ads (admob) you have to upload an alpha or beta version to the Google Play Console to test it. I do not know if it will be the same concept for Kindle .. you have checked If in your "app gradle" you are compiling libraries related to amazon?

• @HubertRonald I'm not using any plugins. I will be using admob soon, but right now I'm just trying to see if the game works as a stand alone apk on an actual device.

Given what you say about having to upload an alpha or beta to the google play console to test it when you have plugins, do I have to be a registered google developer to test my game as an apk on a device?
  • @Favfly I've tested my apk on my android device (and emulator too) through from android studio (connect android device to computer with usb cable) an it works

But if you're searching another method check this post
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26725347/how-to-install-an-app-on-an-android-phone-using-android-studio

Make sure you have the latest android studio.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    It could also be an old problem like you have used upper/lowercase in your filenames and tested on windows - no problem. But when you export then it becomes an issue as Android sees them as different names.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • FavflyFavfly Member
    @SinisterSoft I'm using Android Studio 2.3.1 (on Mac), which as far as I know is the latest version.
    Not sure what you mean by "tested on windows"... I'm using OS X (I don't actually own a PC)
    Also, which files shouldn't be named in upper and lowercase? Are you talking about .png and .lua files, etc.?

NB: As an update to a prior post: I tried exporting to Android using the old method, but got the same result - the apk doesn't work.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    @Favfly, I know you said earlier that you weren't using any plugin, but just to be sure: you don't use json, luasocket, bitop nor any of the standard plugins right ? Because those are included in players so you may be using them without knowing they are actually plugin. If you do, then you must enable them in plugin selection panel too, otherwise they aren't exported.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • FavflyFavfly Member
    Thanks everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.
    @hgy29 You win the prize... It was a missing json plugin. :D
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook