Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros 2022.1 Released - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Gideros 2022.1 Released

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @keszegh, I double checked wintab setting, and I am sorry to tell that I didn't add it in the right place. I mistakenly add it in an inner 'if', where it is never called. This is easy to fix, and I think a 2022.1.1 will come very soon given the amount of things that went wrong in this version.
    Thanks to all for your reports.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @hgy29, no problem and thanks for the nice new update, the quirks hopefully will be gone soon.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • rrraptorrrraptor Member
    edited January 2022
    @hgy29 how do I use my beta ImGui dll? I have it in plugins folder, but when I call
    require "ImGui_pre_buid"
    Im getting an error:
    [string "luabinding/compatibility.lua"]:79: Module ImGui_pre_buid not found
    stack traceback:
    	[string "luabinding/compatibility.lua"]:79: in function require
    	main.lua:1: in function <main.lua:1>
    Oh, oops, I have a typo in require function :neutral:

edited January 2022
    @hgy29 I found that luau provides new type: "vector" and have a C api for that:
    lua_pushvector(L, x, y, z [, w]) // depends on LUA_VECTOR_SIZE in luaconf.cpp
    float* lua_tovector(lua_State* L, int idx)
    float* luaL_checkvector(lua_State* L, int narg)
    float* luaL_optvector(lua_State* L, int narg, const float* def)
    bool lua_isvector(lua_State* L, int idx)
    and a type enum:
    LUA_TVECTOR
    But as far as I can tell there is no way to use it from lua side. I wonder is it some sort of beta feature? Can be very usefull with imgui sliders :smile:

Here is the implementation of some methods: https://github.com/Roblox/luau/blob/32c39e2162b7539fd3233215df3dea23421c0503/tests/Conformance.test.cpp#L67
    https://github.com/Roblox/luau/blob/32c39e2162b7539fd3233215df3dea23421c0503/tests/Conformance.test.cpp#L372
    And test file itself:
    https://github.com/Roblox/luau/blob/2740f69f326a9b18e622571084bf0a03beff13b2/tests/conformance/vector.lua
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Yes, this seems interesting for 3D APIs, but I wonder how the language uses them, maybe through a specific Vector type ?
  • Hi everyone, I want to give some feedback for Gideros 2022.1 luau version.
    Thanks to hgy29, rrraptor(imgui master) and sinistersoft for the new Gideros 2022.1 and older versions. plus Paul,Nicke,antix,keszegh,mokalux and other Giderans for their contributions. I have been following you guyz for a long time but my English skills is not enough sometimes and I am not good coder, just stubborn and couldn't produce serious project so far. If I am available for some reasons I will try to produce a project in the future.

I tested Gideros 2022.1 on System information:
    Wine build: wine-7.0-rc5
    Platform: x86_64
    Version: Windows 7
    Host system: Linux
    Host version: 5.16.0-arch1-1

The most of the examples work fine but the ones that don't work are below.
    3D Horse
    3D Animation
    benchmarkFunctions
    and Addons

Some of them have shader issues, I will add some comparison screenshots.
    3D Instancing
    VR Oculus
    3D Collisions

Luau does not like string methods (string.sub, string.dump, string.find etc.) and dataSaver implementation.

Before I have tried to convert a codepen-io javascript example with rrraptor fastnoise plugin, works on Linux Gideros 2021.11 build but The Gideros 2022.1 gives wine-debug output(pls look at attached files)

Player crashed without any output for some old examples(works well with 2021.11). Need to guide old bit plugin conversion changes.

By the way if someone want to try Gideros 2022.1 on wine. You should load corefonts by "winetricks corefonts" command on linux side. Because Qt6 and Scintilla font rendering have some issues. You should change GiderosStudio to dark theme for better fonts.

Thanks again hgy29 for the great great jobs.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hito9hito9 Member
    edited January 2022
    Edit: My attached files did not show up, what should i do? and my entry reposted again?
    keszegh said:

in windows desktop export i just have a white screen whereas in gideros player my app runs mostly fine.

Same

• MoKaLuxMoKaLux Member
    edited January 2022
    MoKaLux said:

Some minor issues:
    - gideros studio when you click a tab you also have to click the code to get the cursor moving

quick fix: when you click ctrl+tab to switch code click tab again to be able to type.

PS: glad to hear gideros runs on linux, thank you (at)hito9 ;)

my growING GIDEROS github repositories: https://github.com/mokalux?tab=repositories
    edited January 2022
    I did a quck test of vector math:
    TEST = 1000000
    function runTest(VecFunc)
    	local vec1 = VecFunc(1, 2, 3)
    	local vec2 = VecFunc(2, 1, 1)

local ts = os.clock()
    	for i = 1, TEST do 
    		local v = vec1 + vec2
    		v = vec1 - vec2
    		v = vec1 / 2
    		v = vec1 / vec2
    		v = vec1.Magnitude
    		v = vec1:Dot(vec2)
    		v = vec1['Dot'](vec2, vec1)
    	end
    	print(os.clock() - ts)
    end

runTest(vector) -- Luau native vector 
    runTest(vec3) -- My implementation in luau
    Native: around 0.2 seconds (for 1m iterations!)
    Luau: around 2.1 seconds

So, I think it is worth to implement it somehow?)
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    keszegh said:

block comment/uncomment as in zbs would be cool, i'm quite used to it.

I thought we had it already, but it seems no. What would be the shortcuts for those ?
  • hgy29 said:

keszegh said:

block comment/uncomment as in zbs would be cool, i'm quite used to it.

I thought we had it already, but it seems no. What would be the shortcuts for those ?
    ctrl+U toggles block comment/uncomment (i think it comments if there is at least one line with -- somewhere in front (perhaps with some spaces before) and uncomments otherwise)

thanka
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @keszegh, thanks. Also does it add the '--' at the very beginning of each line or after the indentation ?
    edited January 2022
    There is some new function compared to Lua5.3:
    table:
    	clear, isfrozen, find, create, freeze
    --------
    math:
    	round, clamp, noise, sign
    --------
    string:
    	split
    And comared to Gideros Lua 5.1:
    table
    	clear, pack, move, isfrozen, unpack, find, create, freeze
    --------
    math
    	round, clamp, noise, sign
    --------
    string
    	split, pack, packsize, unpack
    https://github.com/Roblox/luau/blob/master/docs/_pages/library.md

• hgy29 said:

@keszegh, thanks. Also does it add the '--' at the very beginning of each line or after the indentation ?

at the beginning of the lines.
  • MoKaLuxMoKaLux Member
    edited January 2022
    keszegh said:

ctrl+U toggles block comment/uncomment (i think it comments if there is at least one line with -- somewhere in front (perhaps with some spaces before) and uncomments otherwise)

ctrl+U is already taken:
    • Control - U : Make all lowercase
    • Control - Shift - U : Make all UPPERCASE

and that works in new gideros 2022.1
    https://wiki.gideros.rocks/index.php/Getting_Started#General_key_bindings

I would prefer the Android Studio way, I think it is ctrl + / on the numpad
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25523490/comment-shortcut-android-studio
    my growING GIDEROS github repositories: https://github.com/mokalux?tab=repositories
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited January 2022
    MoKaLux said:

keszegh said:

ctrl+U is already taken:
    • Control - U : Make all lowercase
    • Control - Shift - U : Make all UPPERCASE

and that works in new gideros 2022.1
    that is what is especially annoying for me, whenever i press it i have to undo (if i notice that i've messed up everything, otherwise even worse).

EDIT: i wonder how many people use make lowercase/uppercase buttons, of course i don't wish to ruin their experience but it seems like a marginal usability thing (compared to mass comment/uncomment which i e.g. use regularly), perhaps it is enough to have it in the menu.
  • MoKaLuxMoKaLux Member
    edited January 2022
    let's see what others think and what hgy29 will do o:) We will make sacrifices for the benefit of glorious new gideros o:)
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    rrraptor said:

So, I think it is worth to implement it somehow?)

Definitely, I would implement the four component vector to support 3D games (with quaternion). Vectors of 4 floats could also be useful to convey colors

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
    MoKaLux said:

let's see what others think and what hgy29 will do o:) We will make sacrifices for the benefit of glorious new gideros o:)

@hgy29 If possible can you add something like "LoadUsersKeyPreferencesFromFile();" where GiderosStudio.ini file in crossplatform path. Most programmers cannot change their old habits.
     --stackoverflow_dot_com/questions/13435262/qt-user-customizable-hotkeys

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    MoKaLux said:

It turns out that Ctrl+U is a scintilla default shortcut, so I decided to leave it as is and define block comment as Ctrl+Shift+C ('C' for comment).
    But I also implemented @hito9 suggestion and those will be overridable through a ini file, such as:
    [main]
    actionBlock_un_comment=Ctrl+U

[scintilla]
    Ctrl+U=0
    Ctrl+Shift+U=0
    It shall be called keymap.ini and located in Gideros user folder (one level above user plugin folder). It will divided into two sections: 'main' for the Studio menu actions, and 'scintilla' for Scintilla specific shortcuts.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @hgy29 Im trying to recompile debug version of gideros player, but Im getting error:
    lua.hpp: No such file or directory

all over the place :D
    I assume that it must bu included by qt in INCLUDEPATH somewhere here:

But
    LUA_INCLUDE = ../luau/VM/include ../luau/VM/src

which does not exists.
    Do I need to compile Luau myself?
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited January 2022
    sorry @hgy29 for somehow being offtopic, i remember raising in some topic the question of loading files to memory asynchronously. i don't remember the answer. i think it is not possible, but is there a chance that it will be in the future?

EDIT: i guess one can workaround this by reading in chunks as in http://lua-users.org/wiki/ReadDefinedChunks
    yet i don't see a workaround for writing a file asynchronously.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    rrraptor said:

@hgy29 Im trying to recompile debug version of gideros player, but Im getting error:

But

which does not exists.
    Yes, you need to compile luau yourself, as part of the player. Run
    make -f scripts/Makefile.gid prep.repo
    to setup the luau submodule from a MSYS2 terminal (you'll need git).
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    keszegh said:

sorry @hgy29 for somehow being offtopic, i remember raising in some topic the question of loading files to memory asynchronously. i don't remember the answer. i think it is not possible, but is there a chance that it will be in the future?

EDIT: i guess one can workaround this by reading in chunks as in http://lua-users.org/wiki/ReadDefinedChunks
    yet i don't see a workaround for writing a file asynchronously.

lua is basiclly single threaded, and Gideros too. It may be easier to deal with files asynchronously than anything else, but making sure every critical part is protected against concurrent modifications is still complex. I hope we'll reach the point where Gideros is fully multhread compatible though, but I can't give forecasts on this.

• hgy29 said:

rrraptor said:

@hgy29 Im trying to recompile debug version of gideros player, but Im getting error:

But

which does not exists.
    Yes, you need to compile luau yourself, as part of the player. Run
    make -f scripts/Makefile.gid prep.repo
    to setup the luau submodule from a MSYS2 terminal (you'll need git).
    Ok, now after compiling:
    openal, xmp, libgvfs, pystring, luau, libgid, libgideros
    I still cant compile player in debug mode :D

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    edited January 2022
    Yes, you also need to run
    make -f scripts/Makefile.gif versioning
    Yeah, compiling gideros has become much more difficult since QT6 and Luau...
    edited January 2022
    Errors after errors, and now Im stuck again :disappointed:

Solved: copy Qt\6.2.2\mingw_64\plugins folder into working directory of the player

edited January 2022
    It is working, finaly!
    BUT! I cant load my dll :(
    [string "luabinding/compatibility.lua"]:79: Module ImGui_pre_build not found
    stack traceback:
    	[string "luabinding/compatibility.lua"]:79: in function require
    	main.lua:9: in function <main.lua:1>
    package.preload:
    	gyroscope
    	geolocation
    	accelerometer
    package.loaded:
    	string
    	table
    	bit
    	io
    	bit32
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hmm, did you link your dll with the new Sdk ? Also maybe you didn't notice but the binding code have changed a bit with the switch to luau
  • @rrraptor Based on your experience, can you update this: https://wiki.giderosmobile.com/index.php/Compiling_Gideros_Source
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com