Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Resolved: Remove LoadString and similar — Gideros Forum

Resolved: Remove LoadString and similar

MikeHartMikeHart Guru
edited April 2012 in Relax cafe
Hi Atilim,

regarding this topic

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/777/question-about-permission-if-i-create-a-lua-coder-using-loadstring

I had some negative thoughts about it. But it seems that I am overreacting to this. So please ignore this. It is no request after all anymore.

Thanks

Comments

• avoavo Member
    How much of a risk is it? If something like codea was created how could the apps be compiled to be distributed?

Obviously I'm not very informed on this topic.
  • I'm not informed either - I can't see the risk. Codea have had problems with Apple rejection, so it would be a risk for someone to do the huge amount of work it would need to make a Codea look-a-like.

Wouldn't any code written in the app have to stay inside the app? And even if it were uploaded through the web, it wouldn't work without having Gideros Studio installed.

I'd like to have a Gideros Studio compliant coding app on my iPad, so I can code away from home.
  • So you guys would not be bothered, if someone creates an Codea like app with Gideros and distributes it? For an app like Codea this you just need to create the editor part. All the api of Gideros is available right from the start. The app creator doesn't need to do anything and uses all the hard work that GiderosMobile has done upfront. And remember there is also the Android market where no restriction exist regarding downloading code.

I am extremely bothered with this thought but I am also badly against piracy in total and for others it is perfectly fine. Guess I have different standards. :(
  • I still don't see that it is piracy, but I would like to hear what atilim and gorkem have to say before commenting any more.

I admire your passion, Mike :).
  • Np, I guess I it is all no big deal after all.
  • avoavo Member
    For me personally it would depend on the intent behind the app itself. If someone created something that basically let you get around using and paying for Gideros obviously that would be bad.

However, if they can only write some code or whatever in the app itself and run it live on their device then I don't think it would be a problem? It would be best if credit was given here as well for the tech in the app.

This actually gave me an idea for a promotional app Gideros could make themselves. If they put out the player onto the app store bundled with some demo code that the user could edit through an interface and see the results live, we could promote that to other developers as an easy way to instantly see how easy/fast Gideros is to use, and how cool the player is for development.

Just a random thought :)
  • There's a reason why the Gideros player isn't available in the app store and it's the same reason why the App Game Kit one wasn't available either.

Instant Apple rejection. Attempting to run code downloaded from outside the sandbox = "not in this life sonny" :)

Granted Android is a different thing - but then the only functions that would be available would be the existing Gideros ones (which are FREE anyway) so there seems little point
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • ZoytZoyt Member
    edited April 2012
    I think I'm one if the only other people that could find a threat in that... It's in my plans to create a sandbox of functions to make it a little safer. I can't imagine anyone using an app like that to hack into a device and do things to it, but with Apple, it's better safe than sorry.
    Here is my current plan of functions to block:
    1. LoadString
    2. File I/O
    3. Flurry
    4. Store kit
    5. Some stuff under Application
    More functions that won't work or pose a threat? Just LMK. But I guess people do tend to look at the code before running it...
    Thanks!
    Edit: Oh... And until I add integration, I'll block fonts and texture packs.
  • I guess, that firstly if someone would want to create their own SDK, then it would make more sense to create it from scratch than to base it on an existing framework. The highlight (as it has been correctly identified) of Codea is not the lua based scripting ability alone, but the wonderful Editor. Plus on the Apple app store you are faced with instant ban/rejection depending on the extent of the attempt, however on Android you even have AIDE, which is a fully featured android editor, compiler and packager, so you can write code, compile and install it on the device.

@Zoyt, you seem to be an intelligent and smart kid, you have lots of ideas, I would suggest just one thing to you, Focus, You are all over the place. You might not have been born when Java was first released, it was supposed to be a sandbox environment that would not allow access to the file system and run in the browser like an applet. Today it is causing Macs to be used like Bots. The point is that every developer has a different need, and the better frameworks are the ones that let the devs choose not restrict them. So I fail to see the point in your attempts to sandbox that. I know that this is rather funny, if you want a sandboxed, limited API, you can have a look at the Mexican Beer framework. One of the reason that many devs have migrated from there over to here is the ability to do more.

Lastly, if anyone wants to make an app using loadstring, then the best solution is to build your own SDK, lua will execute the code using loadstring, it is all about wrapping OpenGL with lua.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • ZoytZoyt Member
    Thanks for the advice @OZApps - It's in my plans to just release the source code and get practice making the editor, or ditch it all together. I'll see.