Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Linux and software development — Gideros Forum

Linux and software development

BJGBJG Member
edited February 2013 in General questions
This isn't really about Gideros, it's just a general ramble. When I first decided to learn how Android programming worked after playing with a Kindle Fire back in December, I got the impression that you had to use Java, so I started reading about that. But it seemed really complicated and I thought there must be an easier way, so I started looking into the various frameworks and engines and realised that Gideros was a good bet. Out of curiosity though, I've recently been taking another look at Java and the possibility of developing for Android using a JVM language called Clojure. This is pretty difficult on any platform, but on Windows, it's really difficult. What few tools exist are undocumented or broken. It seems that Windows is neglected or disparaged by this community, and I'm curious about how widespread this is among the developer community in general, and why.

Is it because they're open-source junkies and Microsoft is the bad guy corporation? But everyone's just trying to make a buck aren't they...? Or is it because they regard Windows as being flawed as a development platform, and Linux or Mac as being better in some way...? Are there real advantages or is it just force of habit...? I've resisted Linux for years but I'm currently downloading Mint to check it out. I'm not really looking forward to it though. Any insights...? What do you think Atilim uses, Windows 8 or some Unix mainframe...?

Comments

• @BJG When I first started doing ruby on rails it was the same way. As far as I could tell Linux is really easy to run batch scripts to build and deploy code, which is what what a lot of open source projects do. This allows you to get the latest build without them having to go through the process of building and uploading the latest binaries everytime something has changed. It also caters for many different machines and environments.

Windows doesn't come with standard C, C++ compilation tools and also doesn't allow command line downloading of the required tools using commands like apt-get. Because of this someone would have to create the binaries, and possibly an installer, for windows for each release. As you can imagine it would soon get a hassle if Windows was the only environment that you had to do this for.

I have used Mint and it is very nice. My only problem with it (and this may have changed) is that for each new release you have to do a fresh install from scratch. As you can imagine this can be a hassle when you have various tools, databases and libraries you need to install each time. I currently use Ubuntu. Took a few days to get used to the Unity bar but I'm fine with it now.
  • BJGBJG Member
    edited February 2013
    Cheers @paul_k_clark, that makes sense. Never having worked in that field I didn't understand the popularity of source code downloads. (Currently trying to get my head round the workings of build managers like Ant and Maven...)
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    What do you think Atilim uses, Windows 8 or some Unix mainframe...?
    He has most of the OS flavors installed out there he works with (at least a few versions of Mac, Win and also Linux). Needless to speak, his workspace is full of iOS & Android devices also :)
  • Maybe we can get him to post a photo of his workspace, with lot's of "toys" to play with. :)

WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Maybe we can get him to post a photo of his workspace, with lot's of "toys" to play with. :)
    +1

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    edited February 2013
    :) I have a 27' iMac and I'm also using Windows with VMware Fusion (time spent -> %50 Windows and %50 Mac OS). I've also installed Linux Mint but I only boot it when I need Valgrind and nothing else.

I can post a photo but there isn't anything interesting except an iPhone 6 prototype :-\"

• I had one of those, but I swapped it on ebay for a 5th Generation 128GB iPad ;)
  • oooooh ohhhhhh ohhhhhh auuuuuch

:-t
  • Sounds like the Tigers been eaten by a Monkey ???
  • hgvyas123hgvyas123 Guru
    edited February 2013
    @techdojo

did you mean this one?????

• Actually I meant this one...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4699020/chimp.avi

• hgvyas123hgvyas123 Guru
    edited February 2013
    that's the also good may be need to find new name for my company which starts with monkey :D

:)
  • How about "Bouncing Monkey" - as in "Bouncing Monkey, Pissed off Tiger" :)
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited March 2013
    I use Linux Mint without problems for programming Android + java and also Gideros Studio + lua (wine)

I use Eclipse SDK (java and C/C++ version) to generate APK and testing on device for Android and Gideros Studio for develop and more intensive testing.

Linux is a good choice only for Android, easier way of development than Windows. Anyway you can use a Mac for both iOS and Android